Home Forums Tickstory Lite Issue/Bug tracking Error message #131 Invalid Volume

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been testing for many weeks on a Pepperstone demo, and getting the 99.9% modeling quality. All of a sudden the back testing will not work because I am getting these Error = 131 Invalid Volume messages in the Journal.

BTW I also use Birts Forex Tick Data software, I have been testing at .01 and 0.1 and 1.0 lot sizes with no issues, so please help me out here to determine whats going on because the parameters have not changed at all.

I even deleted Tickstory and all related files and down loaded the newest version 1.7.2.0 which I have paid for, and re-down loaded one year of tick data from Dukascopy for 3 pairs, and still getting these error 131 Invalid Volume messages.

George

imported_tickstory
    Participant

Hi Ticksquick,

If you are successfully back-testing with data produced from CSV2FXT, then could you please use Tickstory’s FXT Editor to take a screenshot of the FXT information and then do the same with the FXT produced by Tickstory? There must be some sort of difference between the two sets of “MT4 Settings” (i.e. FXT header).

Thanks.

ticksquick
    Participant

I got it working fine now, what I did was I got back online by opening a new demo account and prices were moving, then I got offline and tried the back test
    and it worked fine, so thank you. So it seems with build 880 anyways, thats what you have to do

George

davebaz
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve paid for the Tickstory 1.7.2 version. Thanks, it’s great. I have tested it with Instaforex and Roboforex mt4 successfully.
    But Error 131 always shows on Tickmill mt4 backtest (using the same EA which run successfully on Live and Backtest on other brokers).
    The EA also runs well on Tickmill Live, so this error happens only when Backtesting with tisckstory on Tickmill.
    I try to backtest another EAs on Tickmill, still get the same error 131. Once again, there’s nothing wrong on the EA for test/live on another Broker.

I check also on related posts and http://www.tickstory.com/help/tickstorylite/index.htm?customising_mt4_export_setting.htm, but still couldn’t find the answer. Please help.

imported_tickstory
    Participant

@ticksquick wrote:

I got it working fine now, what I did was I got back online by opening a new demo account and prices were moving, then I got offline and tried the back test
    and it worked fine, so thank you. So it seems with build 880 anyways, thats what you have to do

Hi Ticksquick – good to hear that it was resolved, although not entirely sure what fixed it. Are you saying that you need to download a new terminal or simply open up a new demo account and try again?

Davebaz – are you able to try the suggestion in the previous message to compare FXT information? It also sounds like Ticksquick’s solution may have some bearing on solving the issue as well by the sounds.

Regards.

davebaz
    Participant

Hi,
    1. Using CSV2FXT and compare FXT information : failed, still get the same error
    2. Ticksquick’s solution : always success on other brokers (as I mentioned previously), I also use this step.
    3. My last trial, I test it with Tickstory with the mt4 online : success with 99.9% modelling and the tickstory’s FXT is not overwritten by the broker (Tickmill).

I think some mt4 need us to test it when online, e.g. Tickmill. please correct me if I’m wrong.

Regards

Naomi
    Participant

I got the #131 problem, too.
    Only way to solved is online again, and doing back test in this time.
    If I re-open MT4 VIA tickstory lite on offline mode.
    The problem will happen again.
    Not yet to find any solution.(T_T)

PS. I use 3 brokers MT4 and also official copy, too, all 880 version. Same problem.

Mr Squiggle
    Participant

The problem may be in symbols.raw.

I did a clean install of MT4 from the MT 4 site
    Started MT4 and cancelled out of the create demo and cancelled login to account.
    Closed MT4
    By default it creates a history folder of “FXCM-USDDemo01” with only symbols.sel
    I exported a currency to this session with my broker config file
    Started MT4 with no logon and was able to run a strategy test.

Now I did the same with my broker download.
    I did a clean install of MT4 from my broker.
    Started MT4 and cancelled out of the create demo and cancelled login to account.
    Closed MT4
    It does not create a default account.
    Restarted MT4 and logged into my account
    Closed MT4
    It creates a broker account folder. It has news.dat, symbols.raw,symbols.sel,ticks.raw,symgroups.raw
    Started MT4 with no logon and was not able to run a strategy test. 0.1 lot size. Order Send Error 131.
    Closed MT4 and removed all config files apart from symbols.sel
    Strategy test worked.

Copied all files apart from symbols.raw and strategy test worked.
    Copied symbols.raw and Order Send Error 131.

So probably at this stage the best way for Strategy testing would be to:
    I did a clean install of MT4 from the MT 4 site
    Closed MT4
    By default it creates a history folder of “FXCM-USDDemo01” with only symbols.sel
    Started MT4 with no logon and was able to run a strategy test.

imported_tickstory
    Participant

Hi Mr Squiggle,

Thanks for the info. Are you (or someone else having the same issue) able to confirm that the order details (volume, price, etc) you are sending are still the same in both cases? The other thing to check would be to run the following code:

Print("Lot size in the base currency=",MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_LOTSIZE));
    Print("Step for changing lots=",MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_LOTSTEP));

If the values are different between being logged out vs being logged in, it seems to point to an MT4 issue which hopefully will be rectified soon!

Regards.

Mr Squiggle
    Participant

Hi,
    Can you go into a bit more detail on what the process is to extract the information you are requesting.
    Thanks.

imported_tickstory
    Participant

Hi Mr Squiggle,

In your EA (or if you create a new one), the provided code should be copy and pasted into the “OnTick” method. When you run the EA, it will print out the values of the “Lot step” value. It will then be possible to see in the Journal what the values are when you attempt to back-test. This may give some indication whether there’s an issue that MT4 will need to resolve.

If you’re not entirely sure of how to do all this, then are you able to give us the steps to reproduce the issue, including the Volume 131 error ? Is this occurring with the standard MACD Sample EA?

Thanks.

fnag
    Participant

Hi there,

Here are my findings – input:

1. Since 2 weeks I do have exactly the same issue. i.e.: I used an offline MT4 installation build 840 (downloaded from FXCM) and imported the tickstory / Dukascopy data to do EA backtesting. This testing went perfect for several days.

2. Then from 1 day to another, – and I can confirm as asked in a previous post with Mr Squiggle- with the same EA/ same parameters / settings and NO code change whatsoever, give me the #131 error message:

OrderSendEx: OrderSend(Sell) invalid trade volume
    OrderSend error 131

The error report happened with all other EA’s that I tried to test.

3. Just now (on reading some suggestions in the thread above), I logged into the linked FXCM demo for about 30 seconds, some ticks came in, I went back offline and did re-retest same EA’s again, and now the testing DOES work fine again (apart from the fact that the test results are very very different… with same settings).

Strange…

4. Non-related question: modeling quality shows ”n/a” but always a solid full green bar and 0 mismatched chart errors.

Hope this helps in rectifying this error..

imported_tickstory
    Participant

Hi Fnag,

Thanks for the further info, however it’s still not clear how to reproduce the issue consistently. It does sound like a the EA is dependent on some sort of parameter used to calculate the volume or that some MT4 setting is “missing” when the terminal is offline.

Are you able to provide the exact details of how to reproduce the issue from a fresh terminal installation? We’d also need the EA code you are using – preferrably a very simple one that just has a few lines with the “OrderSend” and nothing else.

Thanks.

Thanks.

fnag
    Participant

But it has worked fine offline for several weeks.. Anyway, if you treat the ea confidential I can forward you the entire code, let me know on what email address to send it and I will do so later today.

As for your other question, I prefer to avoid importing all tick data on a fresh new installation as that takes too much time and cpu during my working hours…

imported_tickstory
    Participant

Hi Fnag,

Of course we would keep the EA code confidential, however you are welcome to send a scaled down version that specifically produces the issue (in fact, we’d prefer it). You should have PM access to send us information directly.

Re: “fresh installation” – I was hoping that you had a list of steps that would reproduce the problem consistently. In your last post you were suggesting that the error was occurring intermittently. If this is the case, then it may be difficult to identify the issue.

Re: You using Build 840, I was initially under the impression that this was only occurring in Builds 880 and above. Curious as to why other users were not experiencing it earlier.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.