Issue with MT4 Portable configuration

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
Tibovwh

Issue with MT4 Portable configuration

Post by Tibovwh »

Hi,

I have 1.8.6 installed and trying to open (through F8) MT4 Build 1031. This build is a portable version and the Tickstory settings correctly point to the directory the MT4 is installed. The Command Line args has "/portable" without quotation marks.

When I press F8, I see the "launched with tickstory" for a fraction of a second but this dissappears. Backtests are not 99.9% modelling quality.

Any thought what I could be doing wrong?

Best,

tickstory

Re: Issue with MT4 Portable configuration

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tibovwh,

Could you please confirm that your MT4 File->Open Data Folder is the same as your "MT4 Data Folder" that you have set in Tickstory's File->Settings.
You obviously need to ensure that your exported data files are being written to the correct folder (i.e. the Installation Folder and Data folder should be the same).

Thanks.

Tibovwh

Post by Tibovwh »

Hi,

Please see below for confirmations

Best,

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tibovwh,

Thank you for the screenshots. Your configuration looks good. After exporting, could you please you double-check that the corresponding FXT files for your symbol exist in the <Data Folder>\Tester\History folder. If you are still having issues, please let us know exactly what modelling quality you are getting in the "Results" tab as this might help identify the issue.

Thanks.

Tibovwh

Post by Tibovwh »

Hi,

I have done some more testing:

If I remember correct, when MT4 is launched correctly with tickstory it only shows the exported instruments in the Symbol list of the Strategy Tester. When I launch it, MT4 does not launch through the patchlets I think. Title bar does not say "Launched with Tickstory" or whatever it should say there. It also shows all the regular broker's instruments in the Symbol list.

On the other hand, if I run a test with a FX instrument of which the name is the same as the one in the actual list (i.e. AUDCAD) it runs and I got 99.9% modelling quality. However, for some reason it also happens that it says that the .fxt file is read-only in the Journal and the Strategy Tester does not run.

For exported Symbols with a different name (i.e. DEUIDXEUR.fxt), they don't show in the Symbol list of the Strategy tester.

To me it really seems like the tickstory launcher is not working correctly.

Thanks for your help,

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tibovwh,

If a symbol that you wish to export does not exist in the MT4 symbol list (or is named slightly differently such as 'AUDCADm'), you need to use the "mapping" function which is described in the manual. This will ensure that Tickstory maps the selected instrument to the corresponding symbol in Metatrader. If you are getting 99.9% modelling quality, then this is indicative that you have followed all the instructions correctly (including launching) and that you are using Tickstory's exported tick data.

Hope this helps.