TestGenerator FXT cannot open [5]

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
tickstory

Re: TestGenerator FXT cannot open [5]

Post by tickstory »

Most recent list of what can cause this issue:

1) Make sure you have the correct MT4 Settings in your FXT file by using the method described here:
http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809
This includes making sure that your "Map to" symbol is *exactly* as it appears in MT4 - including the correct case.
2) Make sure you have exported more than 100 bars for the timeframe you are working in (for eg. if you are working in the daily timeframe, export more than 100 days of data).
3) While trouble-shooting this error, make sure you don't have more than 4GB FXT files (you may try go beyond this once you have resolved the issue, but do note that MT4 does not always handle >4GB FXTs very well).
4) An invalid field somewhere such as a comma instead of a decimal place. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809&p=5381

Claudio Schiavone

Post by Claudio Schiavone »

Hello there,

I've bought the Tickstory license just for use it on Dax, but I'm stuck here because of the "Cannot open" and "Read-only" errors.
Have you solved the problem? I've followed every step written before and have already done every possible tries. Help me please!

Thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Claudio - the "read-only" message is not an error but an information message. Please ignore it.

As for the "cannot open [5]" error, please note the number - is it 5 or some other number? If it is 5, then this denotes that your data file is invalid in some way as described in the previously mentioned points. The only way to correct this error is to make sure you have got the correct instrument MT4 Settings in your exported data. Please go through the points above and if you are still having issues, appreciate if you can post your screenshots of problem including the error and the FXT header of your instrument settings as generated in steps 2) and 5) in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809.

Thanks.

Claudio Schiavone

Hello,

I had followed the suggestion as you said. I'm still trying to set different parametres, but it still giving to me the "cannot open 5" error.

What else can I do?
Attachments
Settings of my broker (following the system in the previous message)
Settings of my broker (following the system in the previous message)
Settings of Tickstory export (the same of my broker)
Settings of Tickstory export (the same of my broker)
Settings of Tickstory export
Settings of Tickstory export

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the screenshots. In some cases it appears that there the decimal place is indicated by a dot (see Tick value) vs a comma (see Tick size). Can you please make sure there is some consistency here as this may be the cause of the issue. Depending on your regional settings, a dot or comma is required to denote a decimal place. Please try a comma to start with and if that is not working, a dot. Make sure all fields are consistently using the dot or comma.
Hopefully this will resolve the issue for you.

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Claudio Schiavone

Hello,

I've already tried both comma and dot, but it is not working. I've tried to set the swap roll over to 0, but it is not working. I have tried to change the server name to XTB or to leave Tickstory, but it is not working. I'm going to be crazy, please help me!

Thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Claudio,

We've sent you a PM - could you please reply.

Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Claudio,

As per our discussion offline, we were able to generate the MT4 Settings on your specific broker terminal (XTB) using the above-mentioned methods. Once we gave you the .mt4config file we generated, the problem was resolved.
I believe the actual instrument details you would like to test with are slightly different between the account we tested with. If this is the case, since you have a working back-test now, I would suggest that you change your settings field-by-field to your DE.30. values and see which value is causing the issue. You may want to double-check that you have generated the correct values using the "Open prices" method since the settings you have on your screenshot seem to differ quite a bit from the ones we had.

Thanks.

jupitrader

Post by jupitrader »

tickstory wrote:Hi Jupitrader,

Here are a summary of trouble-shooting steps that we know of so far:

1) Make sure you have the correct MT4 Settings in your FXT file by using the method described here:
http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809
This includes making sure that your "Map to" symbol is *exactly* as it appears in MT4 - including the correct case.
2) Make sure you have exported more than 100 bars for the timeframe you are working in (for eg. if you are working in the daily timeframe, export more than 100 days of data).
3) While trouble-shooting this error, make sure you don't have more than 4GB FXT files (you may try go beyond this once you have resolved the issue, but do note that MT4 does not always handle >4GB FXTs very well).

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Hello , is that Claudio was able to solve his problem ?
Me always not. I spent hours and hours searching for the month of April and still nothing.
I'm really disappointed from tickstory . I realize that many traders have the same problem like me and there are no real solutions. Only vague answers do not solve the problem. Yet we need these data to trade ....

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jupitrader,

Yes, we assisted Claudio solve this problem. As mentioned in our previous message, we were able to perform the exact steps described above and then save a .mt4config setting that worked fine when Claudio imported it. Please be reminded that this is an MT4 error that usually denotes that the exported instrument information is incorrect. If you require further assistance, please let us know the broker you are using (including the mt4 download link) and the symbol you are using.

Thanks.