Automated downloading via Command Line

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
The Tramp

Automated downloading via Command Line

Post by The Tramp »

Would it be possible to implement TickStory to accept command lines, so that we can automate the downloads.

I would need something like:
tickstory.exe /pairs EURUSD /datefrom 01.01.2010 /dateto 31.12.2013 /spread: 30 /mt4folder "c:\mt4\" /mt4server FXCM-Demo01xxxxx /storelocation "C:\TickData\" /closeatfinish true

Like this I can write a script that can automatically update my data weekly or upon request.

Would this be possible?

tickstory

Re: Automated downloading via Command Line

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tramp,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will add this to the possible list of future enhancements.

Regards.

The Tramp

Post by The Tramp »

Thank you.

At the moment I am Downloading a pair from 01/01/2011 to 31/12/2012 - when finished, I zip the files in the History folder, delete the files in the history folder, zip the files in the Download folder, delete the files in the download folder and the download the next pair.

I have 24 pairs to do and it's a long and tedious job.

As for the metatrader info, it can simply take what's saved as default.

coffeesnob

Post by coffeesnob »

I have to agree with the Tramp on this feature, it would make the application that much more versatile. however if I may add that it would also be good to have a command line to export as well. at the moment how I use Tick Story is I update my history every month, I am not using MT4 directly because well...its MT4....and whilst its the best we have its still crap. I am using a number of custom built applications as well as FSB for my backtesting. so for me to export the data it can be a very time consuming process because I have to select the pairs then I have to export them in either CSV or TSV (depending what backtester I am using) for each period, I am currently running 16 pairs so this takes about a day to do (usually because I get distracted by something else) to have a command line with the ability to download the date and then export it with a pre defined map format would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Coffeesnob,

Thanks for your feedback. We're planning to streamline the download process in the next major version of Tickstory. This should involve simply setting the date range once at setup and then every time you load Tickstory it will automatically update the specified range. Is this what you were thinking of or is a command-line somehow more versatile?

Thanks.