Tstory creates many unknow net connections, can avoid it ?

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
kekkis

Tstory creates many unknow net connections, can avoid it ?

Post by kekkis »

This is akward topic, and hope you dont upset for me.

Because most people are creating trading strategies, which source code dont like to give "wrong hands".
Is it possible not connect so many servers with tickstory, it makes me scratch my head.
Tickstory is opening connection to unknown net addresess, and sometimes keeping UDP port open, even not doing nothing. maybe its facebook or google ad sense or ad servers.
can see there is google rpc_shidig code , where is unpacking java code etc. i think its some google button, but.....
facebook, etc... i think i counted at least 5 connection to different location in short time,with https protocol,and it will take time to check what is inside those packets. Often those connection happend even doing nothing with tickstory.

Wishing.......
I rather pay more for Tickstory if can avoid excessive network connections.
I understand connections to license server and data sources.

You are doing great job, and important application for strategy developers.
best regards,

tickstory

Re: Tstory creates many unknow net connections, can avoid it

Post by tickstory »

Hi Kekkis,

Thanks for your nice feedback & your suggestion. The connections you are seeing are most likely for the Facebook 'Like' button you see on the main toolbar and also some application usage tracking we do using Google analytics to help improve the software (as mentioned in the EULA). These calls should be pretty stock-standard across any typical website you use and will be using minimal bandwidth (Google analytics requests are in the order of around 50-100 bytes). We'll add a backlog item to provide an option to enable/disable usage tracking which hopefully should address these connections.
If you are particularly concerned about security, you could potentially try firewalling the application so it can only access *.Dukascopy.com and *.tickstory.com. Obviously this is not a recommended configuration, but it may help immediately resolve any issue you have with the additional connections.

Hope this helps.

kekkis

Post by kekkis »

Thank you for your reply.

kekkis

Post by kekkis »

Actually ia am not happy
ticstry connecting somwehere every seven minutes
i havent see your eula i tried search.

i understand tickstory maybe is java with IE is very dangerous compination
with unknown advertisments
my clients are pretty strict.

il love your application very much but i have to stop using it beacuse of security problems.
no way i cant keep your applications. even i like this.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Kekkis,

The EULA is shown upon every new installation, specifically:

8. PRIVACY
This SOFTWARE PRODUCT may track usage of application and user behaviour for the purpose of improving the product and potentially serving targeted advertising. No personal information is disclosed during this process.

So for example, the application will denote when the EURUSD pair is exported to file, to MT4, etc. This allows us to determine which particular feature is a "hotspot" in terms of our development priorities.

With regard to the connections - we fully understand what you are saying. Many of the references to advertisements, social networks, etc would not be suitable for a typical institutional setting (eg. investment bank) as they often have strict requirements surrounding what applications can be run and security in general. In these cases (and with all such external applications you use in such an environment), we suggest you firewall/sandbox the application.

Regards.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Kekkis,

v1.8.5 has just been released that minimises some of the connections that you are seeing. Please note that it is still unlikely to satisfy the rigorous compliance requirements of running software in a financial institution's network environment. We suggest that you continue to use your current firewalling solution.

Hope this helps.