Persistent downloads queue status

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
jdaniele

Persistent downloads queue status

Post by jdaniele »

Hi,

Few days ago, I scheduled many downloads in the queue. Than, I has been forced to reboot pc because of a software update.
When i opened Tickstory again, i saw it lost all scheduled downloads that were in the queue... :cry:
I had to reschedule everything from scratch.. :x

I think It would be useful to keep track of current and scheduled downloads saving everything to disk.
So, when the application is closed and reopened, it will just continue to download files exactly from where it left. :idea:

Thanks
Daniele

tickstory

Re: Persistent downloads queue status

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jdaniele,

If you are referring to the "Download" function, then this automatically detects the last date that was downloaded and populates the begin date in the dialog screen for you.

If you are referring to the MT4 data files, we typically do not automatically update this data as this may interfere with a user's test environment. We are planning a selective update procedure that would back-fill the data, however.

Hope this helps.

jdaniele

Post by jdaniele »

Hi tickstory,

I'm referring to the "Download" function, yes, I know it populates the begin date for me, and it is very useful. :)

But, as I stated in my previous message, this is not enough for me.
Let say I scheduled 20 downloads, 20 specific assets, one by one, from the last downloaded date, to 31/12/2020.
I prefer to download data rounding to 6 months, so I will download the first 6 months of 2021 after the end of June.
So for every download, i have to modify the last date, otherwise Tickstory would download up to the very last day.

Now, imagine there are 2 downloads running, and 18 downloads in the queue.

What happens if Tickstory closes for any reason? (a needed reboot, a crash...of just because I have to shut down the PC)
It will LOST the ENTIRE queue and the current downloads.
When i open it again, I will have to SCHEDULE all the 20 downloads AGAIN, one by one.
That's very annoying. :(

So, I suggest you to save periodically the current status (active + queued downloads) to a file on disk.

For example:

Code: Select all

Asset,    last DL,   end date,    status
EURUSD, 2015-01-01, 2020-12-31, downloading
EURCAD, 2018-06-23, 2020-12-31, downloading
GPBCAD, 2016-01-15, 2020-12-31, queued
USDNZD, 2012-03-01, 2020-12-31, queued
and so on, where the "last DL" is actually the last completely downloaded day (00->23).

In this way, I just need to open Tickstory again to automatically start downloading exactly the same queued assets, from where i left them before closing the software.

Does it sound better now? :roll:

Thanks
Daniele

Maikeru

Post by Maikeru »

I agree with the OP. In this day and age with an abundance of File downloading apps like uTorrents, etc. I would have expected Tickstory to be at least very similar.

I just subscribed to Tickstory yesterday and I was hit by stupid Windows update in the middle of the night. And I queued around 20 forex pairs and 2 were downloading. Lo and behold all of them are gone now. And it is a pain to select those 20 again since no data has been downloaded for them yet. And the two that downloaded midway had to be individually selected and resumed manually.

Seeing the last message posted in March, I reckon this hasn't been addressed. Makes me think twice of continuing my subscription.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hello,

Thank you both for the feedback. We totally hear you and are redirecting all these "larger" requests into our next major release of the software (technically speaking, it is defined as "larger" as it will need extra databases to store state, etc). Unfortunately this does take time and might give the impression that we're not furiously at work behind-the-scenes. We are listening and we are definitely noting all this in our dev backlog.

What we are planning to do with this particular feature is to allow users to flag symbols that require to be automatically back-filled. There are a few new concepts that we are introducing including the idea of a "database" (MT4, etc) that will get auto-updated on startup.

Appreciate your patience as we continue to work on this feature for you!

jdaniele

Post by jdaniele »

Thanks for your precious effort, guys!
I'll wait for the next release.

Cheers.