Problems in 'Open Prices' Mode

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
Tickroll

Problems in 'Open Prices' Mode

Post by Tickroll »

Hi,

I have a problem that I need an answer to, please!!!

When I launch Mt4 from Tickstory in 'Every Tick', the minimum Lot is 0.01 which is correct,
the same as my Broker and the same as the inputed Metatrader Info profile, which I have
saved as default.

However, I like to use 'Open Prices', in this mode the minimum Lot seems to be 0.1 Lots,
which is neither what I inputed in the Tickstory, nor indeed my broker's minimum, which
as I mentioned is 0.01 Lots. This leads to me to believe that maybe even things like
Lot Steps, Leverage etc may in fact be wrongly translated.

Why is this discrepancy happening in 'Open Only' mode & how can I ensure that the Metatrader
info that I am exporting, is utilized in 'Open Prices' mode correctly?

Secondly; I trade in 'Open Prices' 4 Hour TF, so don't really need ticks, BUT how can I ensure
that the Strategy Tester is utilizing M1 and NOT H4 Open & Close price data, in a similar manner
that MT4 Back Tester usually does, when using 'Open Prices Only'?

tickstory

Re: Problems in 'Open Prices' Mode

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tickroll,

Tickstory does not support the use of 'Open prices' - only the 'Every tick' model. A separate FXT file is required for using the 'Open Price' mode. MT4 is automatically generating the file using whatever settings are within the MT4 terminal.

Regards.

Tickroll

Post by Tickroll »

Hi,

OK, so that is why in 'Open Prices' I am getting minimum 0.1 Lots, this must be the 'Generic MT4' min Lot,
that is generated for new FXT Files.

Would anyone be kind enough, to show me an easy way to create an FXT file for H4 Time Frame that:

A) Has my Broker's specific info like; Min Lots, Lot Steps etc.

B) Works off M1 data, rather than Ticks, similar to regular MT4 Strategy Tester.

Can the automatically generated MT4 FXT file be edited, indeed is it easy to access?
Maybe, leaving the Broker's original FXT intact might do the trick, any ideas?

I really appreciate your help, and I love Tickstory!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tickroll,

If your intention is to test your EA with 1-minute data rather than tick data, then you can opt not to generate the FXT file at all by deselecting all the 'FXT Timeframes' in the Export menu. In this case, MT4 will still generate the FXT file (with all the terminal defaults) but it will not contain the detailed tick information which should make your back-tests a bit faster.

Hope this helps.

Tickroll

Post by Tickroll »

Thanks Tickstory, for your kind advice.

But the Terminal's Default FXT Files don't match my Broker's in terms of Lot Steps,
Min Lots etc.

Is there a solution to this final hurdle in using your brilliant software for regular
MTN 'M1' based testing for all higher TFs but with my particular Broker's specs?

Looking forward to your reply.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tickroll,

If I understood correctly, you have already exported your custom broker settings (see section in the Help file for "Customising MT4 Export settings" if you need to know more). Once you have done so, the FXT file will contain all the settings from your broker.

If you wish to only export the bar data (i.e. HST files), then you are reliant on MT4 to produce the FXT file for you. In this case, it will be necessary to either 1) Ensure your MT4 terminal is connected to your broker so it can get the right settings (Lot size, etc), or 2) Edit the FXT file once it has been generated by using the 'MT4 FXT Editor'. You will then need to subsequently launch MT4 via Tickstory by using the Tickstory launcher (press F8 in Tickstory).

Hope this helps explain things!

Tickroll

Post by Tickroll »

Thanks Tickstory,

1 The problem is the exported 'Custom Broker Settings' from Tickstory do not effect the 'Open Prices' Mode,
only the 'Every Tick' Mode.

2 If, as you suggest the MT4 is kept connected to receive FXT files, Tickstory's HST files get written over.

3 Regarding editing MT4 FXT Files, I can't find any info on the net about how this is done, indeed I might
not skilled enough to even do this!

4 You suggest after editing to relaunch MT4 via Tickstory, that won't help! because Tickstory does nothing
in 'Open Price' mode.

P.S. Sorting this problem out will give you many, many more future customers. Remember Tick is not
important for people trading in H4 Daily TFs. For us downloading Dukasopy is important and Tickstory
is the only place that caters for this. I would suggest a solution to 'Open Prices' would be of great benefit
to your product!

Thanks, again for your suggestions.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tickroll,

The suggestions above are a admittedly a little advanced, so you will need to know more of the finer details to tweak things. Outside of this, there is no simple way we know to generate the 'Open price' FXT file with the tools currently available. We'll make a note of your suggestion though!

Thanks.

trax

Post by trax »

+1 for the ability to apply / copy from AllTicksMode custom FXT header settings from Tickstory for OpenPrice mode.
As it would further eliminate the need to have some MT4 FXT Editor.

AllTicks vs OpenPrice tester files have the same size but different header: the files are like EURUSD1_0.fxt vs EURUSD1_2.fxt

Tickroll

Post by Tickroll »

Many thanks for your help Trax,

I'm not very technical, so I go to: Files / Tester / History and then I
change the file XAUUSD.fx240_0 to XAUUSD.fx_2

Is that right, anything else?

Regards.