Can't achieve high modelling quality (99%+)

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
longshort

Can't achieve high modelling quality (99%+)

Post by longshort »

Hi Tickstory

Issue: I can not achieve high quality backtests.

Please see my process below:

1. Downloaded a new MT4 terminal recently. I had to get an earlier terminal.exe file to run tickstory. The terminal kept auto updating to the latest version so I followed the steps mentioned by "seanwilliams » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:11 am" in this link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=683&sid=23b9e9485c1 ... 4&start=10 . This had the effect of denying terminal.exe write permissions (which may be linked to my next issue - not sure)
Now the Terminal stays on version 1369 and does not update, so it should be compatible with tickstory (see pic 1). I could not find any other way of preventing autoupdates to the latest MT4 version (is there any other way you suggest?)

2. I then installed Tickstory and linked it to the correct folders (see pics)

3. Then cleared all FXT and HST files from the relevant folders.
I then downloaded data through tickstory normally, and exported to the correct HST and FXT folders (see pic). Before exporting I made sure that the correct MT4 config was used in the Metatrader Info tab (using the Load from FXT function - see pic). MT4 is not open when I do the export. I also checked that there was no suffix to account for with this broker (see pic - there is a '.i' suffix for fx pairs, but not for XAUUSD which is what I am exporting the data for)

4. I launch MT4 through Tickstory. In MT4 I go to file > open offline to see whether history data from tickstory is visible (which it is - see pic), I also check the MT$ data folder to see whether the HST and FXT data has arrive as planned (it has - see pics)

5. I go to run a backtest within the same time period as the data export, and I get poor modelling quality result (see pics). This occurrs across all timeframes.

I have tried to fix this for two days with no luck.
Can you please advise:
1. is there a better way for me to prevent MT4 autoupdates so that my terminal can remain compatible with tickstory? (I have already tried '/skipupdate' from tickstory launcher and replacing the WebInstall file - neither worked)
2. Why Can't I achieve 99% modelling quality? Am I doing something wrong in my process?
Attachments
export.png
export MT4 config.png
1.png

tickstory

Re: Can't achieve high modelling quality (99%+)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Longshort,

The latest version of Tickstory Lite v1.9.7.6 supports the most recent MT4 Build 1370, so there should be no need to roll-back your MT4 version.
Just try launching (if using the Lite version. ensure that your data export spans less than 12 months) and then proceeding with your back-test.
There should be no launch error and if you have followed all the steps (1, 2), you should have 99.9% modelling quality on your back-test.

Hope this helps.

longshort

Post by longshort »

Thanks for your response.

As of 1 March 2023, the latest version of MT4 is version 1376 and is not supported by tickstory. Therefore I do need to prevent autoupdates. What is your suggested method for preventing MT4 from automatically updating?

I'm not getting a launch error, I follow all of the steps and still see modelling quality of anything from 25% up to 80%.
Attachments
MT4 version 1376.png

longshort

Post by longshort »

Hi Tickstory

I just downloaded a new MT4 terminal, and redownloaded Tickstory. I followed the process in your video.

I get the same issues - this is my test result after exporting AUDUSD.a data for the last month from Tickstory (See pic). There are also a number of errors showing up in the journal (see pic). Do these have something to do with it?
Attachments
errors.png
bad test.png
Last edited by longshort on Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Longshort,

Let's respond to the 2 points you raised:

1) MT4 Build 1376. We are not aware of any official release of this build yet. It could be that this is a test version released only to your broker. If you tell us how we can obtain the installation, or if you can upload the terminal.exe and metaeditor.exe to a file sharing site (such as sendgb.com), then we can take a look at it. Do bear in mind that Metaquotes usually make a series of test versions before they push out a final version to all brokers, so we usually look to support the final version.

2) Not getting 99.9% modelling quality. Have you ensured that you have mapped your data to "AUDUSD.a" as described in the manual and our FAQ? If no, this is the likely reason why you are getting lots of errors.

Thanks.

longshort

Post by longshort »

Hi tickstory

1. Youre right, I think it might have been a test version. I have been using eightcap and once that didnt work I started trying pepperstone. I havent been able to get good data quality on either. I am now back to using MT4 version 1370 and the same issue repeats itself, low modelling quality.

2. Please refer to pics attached. Yes I have followed the 'map to' instructions and included 'AUDUSD.a' in the map to section, since the .a suffix is used on this broker. I still get 25% modelling quality on the M1 test.

Is there anything else I should try ?

I've been trouble shooting with this for a week now. I really want to get the monthly subscription and start downloading lots of tick data but I need to know that it works first.
Attachments
suffix.png
Data export 2.png
Data Export 1.png

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Longshort,

We're very confident it will work. At this stage it looks like maybe you are exporting to the wrong location or terminal. I note that in your screenshot your terminal is still set "FTMO" and yet you mention Pepperstone? Have you configured the new Pepperstone terminal correctly and then exported again?

Once you do your export, you should be able to go to File->Open Data Folder in your Pepperstone MT4 terminal and then browse to the tester/history folder. You should see large files (1gb+ if you have exported 12 months of data) named AUDUSD.a*.fxt. If you do not see them, please review and redo your export steps again.

Thanks.

longshort

Post by longshort »

Hi tickstory

Thanks for your response.

I have attached a pic of the folder, I have tried with AUDUSD.a and CADJPY.a so far. It was set up correctly to export into the new terminal.

For some reason when I tested timeframes M5 and above, I was getting an n/a result, then I tried again and I can now get a 90% modelling quality whenever I attempt a backtest with anything M5 or above - still not 99% and the green bar is not full.

Still getting 25% when testing with M1. M1 is the timeframe I need to test on so that's quite inconvenient.
Attachments
folder pic.png
5 min test.png
1min test.png

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Longshort,

It looks like your tick data files might be getting overwritten for some reason. Could you please try the following:

1) Export AUDUSD.a from Tickstory as usual.
2) In MT4, go to File->Open Data Folder and then browse to tester/history. You should see a series of .fxt files for AUDUSD.a that are all the same size.
3) Select all the FXT files in Windows Explorer, right-click and select Properties. Then set the "Read-only" flag to checked/yes.
4) Try your back-test again. If you are getting n/a modelling quality, make sure you have launched the terminal from Tickstory.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks.

longshort

Post by longshort »

That was the issue it seems, and your solution worked :)

I can get 99.9% modelling quality now across all timeframes. I also tried setting the fxt files to read only through the option in tickstory (with another currency pair) and this worked as well (pictured).

Thanks again for your help with this.

For others reading, this is on MT4 version 1370.
Attachments
success.png
manually making fxt files read only.png
export settings that worked.png