Error aftter editing FXT file for control points backtesting

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
moisesnc

Error aftter editing FXT file for control points backtesting

Post by moisesnc »

Hello. I'm trying to edit the FXT file for "control points" type simulations (_1.fxt).

When I edit any value in the _1.FXT file generated by MT4, using the FXT editor, and mark the new saved file as "read only", the following problem happens:

MT4 warns that the file is "read-only", and even though I checked the "control points" option, MT4 warns that it will do the similation of type "0" (every tick), and then looks for the file _0.FXT (which does not exist), and closes saying that it did not find the file.

Basically I can't edit the _1.FXT file and simulate in the "control points" method. (If I create and edit a _0.FXT file and simulate the every tick method, it works normally).
COntrol points error.png
COntrol points error.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 2850 times

tickstory

Re: Error aftter editing FXT file for control points backtesting

Post by tickstory »

Hi Moisesnc,

It's not clear why you need to edit the FXT file? If you want to test with the Control Points method, simply export your data to MT4, select the 'Control Points' modelling method in the MT4 Strategy Tester and then commence your test. The *_1.fxt file will automatically be created by MT4 and it will contain all the OHLC data points.

Thanks.

moisesnc

Post by moisesnc »

The reason is because I want to do backtests with the "Control Points" method, but using different SWAP values. MT4 uses the default SWAP value set by the broker at that time. I thought the only way to change the SWAP value was to edit the FTX file. Is there any other way?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Moisesnc,

Our Advanced Tester is the best way to tweak various settings. It gives you full, on-the-fly control that allows you to change each of the back-test parameters such as Swap values without having to edit FXT files.

Hope this helps.

moisesnc

Post by moisesnc »

Thanks. I purchased tickstory and downloaded tester advanced. With it I managed to change the SWAP. I have the following questions below:

1 - Do I need to subscribe to the monthly plan to keep tickstory and the advanced tester working or is the monthly plan just to receive updates?

2 - The advanced tester, when running on the desktop, just slows down the simulation, however when running on the notebook, several times it closes alone or closes the metatrader during the simulation. Is this BUG intended to be fixed in the future?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Moisesnc,

Thanks for your license purchase.
In response to your questions:

1) Your subscription gives you access to both on-going updates and use of the Advanced Tester. If your subscription ends, the Advanced Tester will no longer have all features enabled. If required, you can renew your subscription after expiry by going to the Help->About box in Tickstory and clicking the "Renew" button.

2) Do note that if you attempt to change settings while a test is in progress, this could have the effect you describe. If this is note the case, could you kindly post the details in our beta forum with the steps to reproduce the issue on our side?

Thanks.

moisesnc

Post by moisesnc »

Thanks for the answers.

Can you list the functions that still will be enabled of the Advanced Tester if I end the subscription? or the link where I find this information?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Moisesnc,

The Advanced Tester will essentially revert back to the "Lite" mode when your subscription ends. You can find the feature check-list on our download page. Note that all the other Tickstory Standard features are still accessible as noted on the same page.

Hope this helps.