Take Profit Limit and Getting Support.

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
HDLegit

Take Profit Limit and Getting Support.

Post by HDLegit »

I paid for the Professional package with "12 months (On-going support provided as part of your subscription)," and I can't figure out how to get the support I supposedly paid for. How do I get that support?

My present issue is that when running an EA in the MT4 strategy tester with the Tickstory data imported, it's not allowing take profit of 0.00015 to be set from the Open Price. When I run the EA on a separate Terminal (from the same Broker) on a different machine, it allows the EA to set such a close take profit.

Is there a setting in the "Export to MT4" that controls this that I missed?

I followed the instructions on this page, http://usermanual.tickstory.com/doku.ph ... t_settings, to load settings from my broker by creating a FXT file.

But it seems that strategy tester on the short term data from my broker allows close take profit but the imported data does not. (In reality the broker also allows such tight take profit; so the wildcard is the data import.)

Please advise.

tickstory

Re: Take Profit Limit and Getting Support.

Post by tickstory »

Hi HDLegit,

You've come to the correct place for support. As part of your Professional license, you can also email us via the support address given on your order email confirmation.

Regarding your issue, if you are getting an MQL "Order Error" when submitting your order, it is possible that you have not set a correct parameter (eg. "Lot step" in your "MT4 Settings" tab during export. To fix this, please do the during your export:

1) (If you haven't already) Configure your MT4 broker terminal in File->Settings.
2) Select the symbol you wish to export and choose "Export to MT4".
3) In the "MT4 Settings" tab, select your broker's symbol (eg. GOLD) from the drop-down "Map to" field box. When you do, Tickstory will automatically populate all the the MT4 settings for that symbol (Lot size, etc).
4) Select OK to begin the export.
5) Once the export is complete, begin your test!

If you continue to have issues after this, please check your EA to make sure it is correctly operating. Depending on the specific MQL error you are getting, the problem might be able to be resolved within the EA. For example, Lot sizes should be rounded to the nearest lot step.

Hope this helps.

HDLegit

Post by HDLegit »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not getting any order error; It's just not setting the TP in the correct place. The EA would be the biggest suspect, of course, if it was not already properly functioning in live demo account tests, and strategy tester tests in my regular MT4 terminal.

I did previously go to "File > Settings > MT4 Settings" tab and configured the MT4 broker. The Installation, Data Folder, and Server name appear to all be properly associated with my broker. I also had followed the other steps you outlined in steps 2-5 for EURUSD, except I don't see "Export to MT4 > MT4 Settings", I see "Export to MT4 > Metatrader Info." If that's what you meant, that's what I did, though instead of using the "Tickstory Generic 5-Digit Broker" I used the "Load from FXT..." button.

Obviously I got Tickstory to get a more historical perspective on the EA. Where the EA, preset, and time frame are constants, it's only the terminal and data source that are different; which is why I'm wondering if there is a setting off in the Metatrader Info window that governs the export to MT4.

One other thing, in the strategy tester it's reporting the "Modeling quality" as "n/a" instead of a percentage. Hopefully that gives a further hint as to what the issue may be.

Any other ideas?
Last edited by HDLegit on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi HDLegit,
I see "Export to MT4 > Metatrader Info." If that's what you meant, that's what I did,
That's correct. Apologies for the incorrect terminology.
which is why I'm wondering if there is a setting off in the Metatrader Info window that governs the export to MT4.
The Metatrader Info contains all the information about your broker/symbol. If it matches your broker, then there are no other variables as far as symbol configuration (Lot size, lot step, etc) goes. Of course, there will be different settings within the Strategy Tester and your EA that could affect your trades and trade results. You should cross-check these to make sure they are all the same.
though instead of using the "Tickstory Generic 5-Digit Broker" I used the "Load from FXT..." button.
If you are familiar with how this feature works, then that's fine. Otherwise, it is recommended that you use the steps described above to get your MT4 Symbol Info.
One other thing, in the strategy tester it's reporting the "Modeling quality" as "n/a" instead of a percentage. Hopefully that gives a further hint as to what the issue may be.
You should be getting 99% modelling quality. Please make sure you have pressed the 'Launch' button within Tickstory before beginning your back-test (please check out our FAQ here for common reasons why you might not be getting 99% modelling quality).
I'm not getting any order error; It's just not setting the TP in the correct place
We can't really say on this one as the MT4 tester should be placing the TP exactly where it was told to. You might want to print some debug information to see if the TP price you are specifying is infact the same as the price being passed to the OrderSend function.

As a base-line, it could be worthwhile firstly establishing that everything is working correctly on the Tickstory side by exporting and using the standard "MACD Sample" EA. Once you are getting 99% modelling quality, you can progress to testing your own EA knowing that you are using the exported tick data correctly.

Hope this helps

HDLegit

Post by HDLegit »

My EA checks to make sure the take profit (TP) is adjusted if it attempts to be set-up within the Broker allowed minimum TP. But the issue here is that when running the Strategy Tester with the Tickstory data, it's not allowing a TP to be set up that I know is OK with my broker because I've done it hundreds of times in a demo and real-money accounts. And the EA allows the correct TP when running on demo accounts. So I think my broker settings are not right when I tried to export the data to MT4.

I have "launched" Tickstory. I'm getting 99.9% modeling quality. And I tried setting up my broker two different ways, according to the instructions provided for the FXT and mt4config options (instructions found on the Export to MT4 > Help tab).

Which of the settings on the Export to MT4 > Metatrader Info tab controls the minimum allowable TP? Perhaps that info is not being correctly conveyed by the FXT or mt4config files, but I could manually set it up correctly. I'm just not sure which of these settings, if any, would control that.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi HDLegit,
Which of the settings on the Export to MT4 > Metatrader Info tab controls the minimum allowable TP? Perhaps that info is not being correctly conveyed by the FXT or mt4config files, but I could manually set it up correctly. I'm just not sure which of these settings, if any, would control that.
Again, unless you are familiar with what you are doing, you should simply just select your symbol in the MT4 Export->MT4 Info->"Map To" field. This will populate all your broker's symbol details without having to use mt4config or FXT files.

All the fields listed in this tab are the only ones that might affect your ability to enter an order (aside from the settings in the Strategy Tester and your EA). We can't tell you which specific field without an MQL error code of some sort (see here for the error codes that would relate to the symbol settings - error 130 denotes "invalid stops"). If you don't have any error codes or further information about why the trade is not being entered, I think the only way forward is to add some debugging information to your code. Usually, if there is an instruction to enter a trade, it will happen. If it doesn't, you will be issued with an error code.

Hope this helps.