Help with USD30/DAX results

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
gsolomos

Help with USD30/DAX results

Post by gsolomos »

hi i downloaded tickstory, i did the following:
1. opened up index - usa30.idx
2. right click export to mt4
3. let it download.
4. when its done downloading i click on tools then to lauch mt4
5. my mt4 platform comes up
6. i backtest and get results in the 80% or n/a

ive looked up all the videos and the tutorials and everything i am doing is right and still nothing.

yes the folder that it is going in is the right folder and the history data in my mt4 data folder has this info in it

still nothing.

please help

tickstory

Re: Help with USD30/DAX results

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gsolomos,

It sounds like you haven't "mapped" your symbol to your MT4 symbol name (please see our FAQ for resolving modelling quality issues).

We are just in the final stages of making the mapping process a lot easier. We've sent you a PM with a link to v1.9.5.4 and instructions.
We'll be making a final release of it soon but you can get to be one of the first to try it out ;)

Please let us know if you continue to have issues.

Thanks.

gsolomos

Post by gsolomos »

So i believe i got it to work im about to test it thank you... quick question. i use fx choice as my broker, i know this data is coming from dukacopy. my question is will the data be from fx choice or dukascopy ? so is this as if i am running my ea or tester on fx choice or would it be another broker that i am seeing results for ? how does it all work between different brokers ? thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gsolomos,

Good to hear the issue is resolved.

Regarding broker data, that is correct - you are testing on Dukascopy data. FX Choice's data will of course vary from Dukascopy's since they have different liquidity and trading conditions. That said, you should not be seeing major differences in your results between brokers unless your EA is particularly sensitive to these trading conditions. If your EA is sensitive, you are likely to see the same differences between test and going live on any broker you choose. The important part is trying to ensure your strategy is not over optimized.

Here is some more information in our FAQ on this topic:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... acktesting

Thanks.

gsolomos

Post by gsolomos »

So i guess my biggest question is this... when i do my backtesting even for just a month period lets say. i am getting different results and i understand its because i am using data from dukascopy but i have a demo account setup and the trades are different, so when i go live isn't it better to see how the demo runs then concentrate on the results i am getting from dukascopy data ?

how do i evaluate the results i get from the dukascopy data if they aren't accurate with my other broker (fx choice). Im just a little confused because if i get my EA or backtests to prove profitable month after months on backtests with tickstory data but then i am getting different results with fx choice data and quality of lets say 70 to 90 percent accuracy. then which one do i favor and which one do i build my strategy around ?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gsolomos,

There's no easy answer to your question: Back-testing is a measure to understand how your strategy performs under the given conditions. If you are seeing the same results in FX Choice demo, then that's a good sign. If not you'll need to analyze exactly why.

There are many variables that you will need to take into account. If your strategy is reliant on a long moving average rather than monitoring specific tick activity, it's likely to be much more stable between brokers.

As an example, if your strategy takes only 3 trades per month, your back-test results are going to be much more accurate because price differences, slippage, lag and other such broker-specific factors are not going to have a huge affect on your results.
If your EA makes say 50 trades per month, these factors are going to much more pronounced - and it will likely be the case whatever data you tested with and which broker you trade with.

You will need to test your strategy with larger spreads, thinner spreads, "harsher" conditions (as defined by you and your knowledge of your strategy). Does it work under all these conditions? If so, moving from broker to broker and from test to live is less of a concern. Test on the target broker in their demo environment and review your strategy. Is it working as expected?

Simply put: Make sure your EA is not highly dependent on minor price differences between brokers. The more sensitive it is, the more variations you will see, regardless of the origins of your historical data (FX Choice, Dukascopy, etc).

Hope this helps.