System.OutOfMemoryException

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
fordicus

System.OutOfMemoryException

Post by fordicus »

Update:
I've downloaded some data again to retry exporting to be sure.
And downloading them again didn't help. Also, 2-years of data and longer periods are not just 'prone' to this exception,
but is so frequent and basically I am only able to export 1-year even after upgrading to the standard version.
1-year period cannot go parallel, I only can continue a year by year. Even 1-year throws the exception sometimes... So it is completely manual year by year.

Could you please check it soon? My pc is at the workplace, if it is possible from your side, I can share the monitor on Saturdays and Sundays.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Tickstory team,

I've just purchased the Tickstory standard version with its purchase reference number TIC??????-????-64152,
in a hope that I can use this software more conveniently. But it didn't improve much.

The message that I so frequently receive is "System.OutOfMemoryException", and in such a case, the progress bar immediately finishes with 100%.
But then, the reliability on the data being exported degrades, so I try it again until I don't see such a message.

The task I do is "Export to File", I do that on pairs of foreign exchange rates ( Dukascopy->Forex ) since I've already downloaded quite a lot.
For example, I've downloaded "EURAUD" symbol pair that has the period ( 2010.Jan.01 ~ 2019.Sep.30 ).

When I do "Export to File", the options are,
Data output: Timeframe: 1 Second,
Output Format: Pre-defined: Generic bar format (tab delimited),
From date / To date:
I used to export on 1-year-basis before I purchased the standard version, but at some point, it told me it is limited to 120-days at once to export.
That's what I purchased the standard version, and then, I wanted to export like 10-years at once (eg. 2010.Jan.01 ~ 2019.Sep.30).
*Both* 1-year-basis and roughly 10-year-basis are prone to encounter "System.OutOfMemoryException".

The operating system is Windows 10 x64 Professional, the system memory is 64.0GB (so the message should be due to the bug in your program, it cannot be a hardware problem).
( I am worried that this isn't going to fix before 1-month assistance period upon the purchase of the standard version )

You also can consult the log from the software below.
Note, the first line of the Details and the first column of the followings are translated into English as such parts of the original message was in Korean.

Product name: Tickstory Lite
Product version: 1.9.5.1
Details:
'System.OutOfMemoryException' type of exception is Thrown.
Location: System.Windows.Forms.Control.System.Windows.Forms.Layout.IArrangedElement.PerformLayout(IArrangedElement affectedElement, String affectedProperty)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
Location: BrightIdeasSoftware.GlassPanelForm.WndProc(Message& m)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
Location: System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Robin.

tickstory

Re: System.OutOfMemoryException

Post by tickstory »

Hi Robin,

Usually an out-of-memory exception indicates that you are trying to do too much at the same time and simply are running out of system memory/resources.
Could you please provide us with further information about how many simultaneous downloads are in progress when you get this error? Also, could you please check the Windows TaskManager to see how much memory you have available and unused at the time of the error? You might also want to note the amount of memory that Tickstory is using. The amount of memory that is being used by Tickstory will correlate with how much you are trying to do at any given time. If too much, then the only solution aside from freeing memory by quitting other applications, is to perform less simultaneous tasks so you don't run out of physical memory.

All that said, we are looking at making some memory optimizations to the bar generator as the 1-second time-frame can take up some memory. We will make sure you get this update. Before then, as mentioned above, please make sure you are not running excessive tasks or other big applications.

Thanks.

fordicus

Post by fordicus »

>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1stW7br ... sp=sharing

Hi, the link above is the video clip. You may seek around 14:18 where the exception is thrown.
The period of the data was 2-years. You can see that it only reaches 3,300.6MB when it is thrown.
But as I mentioned, I have 64GB memory, so I cannot imagine that this is really because of the lack of the memory.

Besides, I monitored how much memory it consumes when I successfully export 1-year data.
It was 1,547.7MB when it completes, but I found that it *doesn't* release the heap once it completed. That's additional bug, no? I turned off the program and run it again, the memory occupancy was roughly 38.0MB there.

If I say it consumes 1,550MB memory for 1-year while it was roughly 3,300MB for 2-years approaching the progress 100%, I would believe the memory footprint is linear. 1,550MB \times 10 \approx 15GB, that is still a way less than 64GB memory that the system has.

I am looking forward to your follow-up. Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hello,

We've sent you a PM with a possible fix to minimize memory usage. Could you please install this and let us know if it alleviates the issue for you?

Thanks.