Windows Defender blocked install

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
DonDidi

Re: Windows Defender blocked install

Post by DonDidi »

I have this issue as well, and I think it is not necessarily a false positive. The problem I think resides in the fact that there is a mechanism in the software that allows for remote disabling. In my case for instance, I have 2 servers on both of which I needed historic data. As I install Tickstory on 1 of them, the installation on the other is remotely disabled. Not even disabled actually, the software is kind of uninstalled even. Because of this mechanism, Windows Defender marks Tickstory as being a Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A. It can in fact execute commands remotely.

I would suggest this mechanism is changed, because indeed having a remote party being able to remotely execute whatever they want on a server is a bit concerning.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Dondidi,

Tickstory does not provide any functionality to execute remote code. We have had our software explicitly tested by Microsoft, Kaspersky, Comodo, McAfee and others and found safe. False positives can still occur between versions however, and we always follow up with the vendor when required.

In your case, I would suggest that you perform a full scan of your PCs to ensure that there isn't something else causing the issue. From what you describe about the software being deactivated, this is more likely due to some administration rules that have been set within your network. I would suggest you contact your server host/administrator to see why this might be the case.

Thanks.

DonDidi

Post by DonDidi »

Thanks for your reply. I am actually myself full admin to both of my servers, and have a background in system administration. So I am quite confident that these otherwise empty servers have no other software titles installed that cause this issue. Actually, Windows Defender is quite explicit about it. See: screenshot.

About the mysterious disappearance of Tickstory when it is installed with the same key on another server: I will see if I can replicate it and PM you.
windows defender screenshot
windows defender screenshot

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Dondidi,

Thanks for the further information. Could you please provide us with the Tickstory version that is getting the detection? What we will do is again check that there is no detection on the official MS Defender product and get it white-listed if necessary.

Thanks.

DonDidi

Post by DonDidi »

My version is:

1.9.4.0 (Build date: 2019-05-23)

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi DonDidi,

Attached is the report from the official MS Defender website for v1.9.4.0. It reports that no malware is detected. All we can suggest is that you update your virus signatures to the latest as shown in the report and hopefully the error is resolved.

Thanks.

msdefender_report.1.4.0..gif