Windows Defender blocked install

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
Hutchval123

Windows Defender blocked install

Post by Hutchval123 »

I marked Tickstory as "safe" in windows defender adding it to my exclusions and it still blocks access. Any thoughts on how to get around this issue?

Thanks

tickstory

Re: Windows Defender blocked install

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hutchval123,

Could you please let us know which version you are trying to install (Tickstory Lite v1.9.2.6?) and we can report the issue to Microsoft if it still persists.
Usually, Microsoft advise to ensure that your Defender product and virus definitions are up-to-date and this can resolve the problem.

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Hutchval123

Post by Hutchval123 »

The problem file that it thinks is a threat is Unwader.C!ml

My system is up to date.

Thank you!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hitchval123,

Tickstory Lite v1.9.2.6 has been uploaded to the Windows Defender website for analysis and reports as of Definition 1.283.1096.0, there are no reported detections.
You may want to double-check you have the latest virus definitions. Unfortunately we can't recommend anything outside of this except to ensure that the setup file has our Digital Signature to prove authenticity. You can do this by going to Windows File Explorer and right-clicking and selecting 'Properties->Digital Signatures'.

You can also upload the file to virustotal.com for further analysis. v1.9.2.6 should have SHA-256 of a233155bd0a62bdcd726d44080d1f1b5f162cb7d307984d161512b6bf104b154.

Thanks.

Hutchval123

Post by Hutchval123 »

I ran it again, making sure all my software was up to date and I still get the same error on reporting Win32/Unwaders.C!ml

Can you let me know if the Standard purchased version of Tickstory has Win32/Unwaders.C!ml bundled in the software?

I don't want to buy it if it is included in Tickstory.

Thank you

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hutchval123,

If you have checked the Digital Signatures we described, then we can say that what you are seeing is a false-positive detection. You can double-check what your Windows Defender is saying on the Microsoft site here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission.
As mentioned, the official version from our site raises no alerts from this official Microsoft site. This applies to both the Lite and Licensed versions.

Thanks.

mjpeach

Virus found in TickStory Lite by Windows Defender

Post by mjpeach »

TickStory virus.png
I downloaded and ran Tickstory Lite tonight, then started it off downloading a set of 3 tickers for a 10 year period. Windows Defender reported a Virus detection (severe) 2 hours 20 mins later... it's called "Win32/Fuery.B!cl" and apparently affects Tickstory.lnk & Tickstory.exe. Windows Defender didn't block the download though, so I'm wondering if it's picked up something in the data?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mjpeach,

Your post has been merged with an existing thread on the same topic. Please try the above-mentioned checks to validate that your Tickstory installation is authentic and also make sure your Windows Defender signatures are up-to-date. You can double-check the file by uploading it to the Microsoft site.

Thanks.

mjpeach

Post by mjpeach »

As I said the download & install were OK and it failed later - Defender 'quarantined' the .exe so I couldn't look at it. I've downloaded, installed and run it again tonight and everything was OK - so it's a bit of a mystery. I checked my definitions update and that's set as advised by Microsoft with cloud-based updates configured.

That's all I want to do for now, so there probably won't be any more feedback from me either way.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mjpeach,
It's unusual that Defender would report anything after installation. I would be doing a full scan of my PC to make sure there are no other processes that might be causing the issue.
Regards.