TestGenerator: file "C:\(..)\EURUSD30_0.fxt" cannot open [5]

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
demian1982

TestGenerator: file "C:\(..)\EURUSD30_0.fxt" cannot open [5]

Post by demian1982 »

Hello,

this message come up in the metatrader journal after export the tickdata, and execute a backtest with them in the strategytester. I have read the other threads regarding to that, but anyway I have problems to solve this. May it's because my english -is not the best (german native). However, I followed the instructions in the export helptask to implement the broker specifivic characteristics for the export, and also tried with changing , in . ..?

demian1982

Re: TestGenerator: file "C:\(..)\EURUSD30_0.fxt" cannot open

Post by demian1982 »

Here is a screenshot of my settings. Broker is GKFX
Attachments
export.jpg

demian1982

Post by demian1982 »

I also purchased Tickstory, but with another e-mail adress. After plenty of tries, I never get an activation e-mail for the forum with that e-mail adress. I exported 2 years of data = ~340MB.

Help appreciate!!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Demian1982 - Thanks for the info. Could you send us a PM with the email address you purchased with so we can update your details? We prioritize registered users' queries ahead.

Regarding the "cannot open[5]" issue, here is the definitive list of reasons why you can get this error:

https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20

Generally speaking, make sure you have exported at least 6 months of data before your back-test. If you continue to have issues, see the above-mentioned check-list as one of these will be causing the issue.

If you continue to have issues, please let us know more information about the problem.

Thanks!

demian1982

Post by demian1982 »

Hello,

1) Make sure you have the correct MT4 Settings in your FXT file by using the method described here:
http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809
This includes making sure that your "Map to" symbol is *exactly* as it appears in MT4 - including the correct case.

CHECKED

2) Make sure you have exported more than 100 bars for the timeframe you are working in (for eg. if you are working in the daily timeframe, export more than 100 days of data).

CHECKED
3) While trouble-shooting this error, make sure you don't have more than 4GB FXT files (you may try go beyond this once you have resolved the issue, but do note that MT4 does not always handle >4GB FXTs very well).

CHECKED

4) An invalid field somewhere such as a comma instead of a decimal place. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809&p=5381

CHECKED (changed all commas to points)

The problem still consists.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Demian1982,

Thanks for the further information. I have downloaded the latest MT4 terminal for GKFX and performed a back-test with no issues.

Could you please try using the attached .mt4config file with settings taken from the GKFX terminal:

1) Select EURUSD in Tickstory and "Export to MT4". Select a date range of 6 months.
2) On the "MT4 Settings" tab, load the attached config file.
3) Start the export and try your back-test.

If you continue to get issues, appreciate if you can give a screenshot of your "MT4 Settings" window so we can have a closer look. If may be that there is something specific to your Windows number format setup. That is, if your regional settings have commas to denote decimal places, please make sure they appear in the boxes as such. For example, for the fractional amount "two and a half", this should appear as "2,5" if you have European/German number formatting. If it appears as "2.5", then you this may be the cause of your issue.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks.
Attachments
GKFX demo.mt4config
(43.99 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

demian1982

Post by demian1982 »

Oh my god! I did not good...I did bad! I didn't choose how much to export, because my guess was that it choosed automaticly all the data that was downloaded.

Best regards and thanks for your efforts!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Excellent news, Demian - thanks for letting us know how you solved it! ;)