Symbol() Returns wrong value

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
tickstory

Re: Symbol() Returns wrong value

Post by tickstory »

Hi Neil,

For the moment, we're using the information you provided to try look for a workaround. It doesn't appear quite straight-forward (and potentially regional-specific), so we're just trying to figure the most optimal solution. We haven't forgotten about you and appreciate the patience ;)

Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Neil,

We have send you a PM with the details of a potential fix for the issue. Please let us know if this works for you and if so, we will incorporate it into our next official release.

Have a great Christmas!

iRick

Post by iRick »

I'm having a very similar issue

I've just upgraded from Lite and now it won't map correctly, as above, I'm mapping to GBPUSD(£) and the EA seems to read GBPUSD(?) and returns nothing

This didn't seem to be a problem with Lite, although I couldn't open MT4 from Tickstory (for the 99.9% test, hence the upgrade) now it also won't read GBPUSD when I open it either via Tickstory or standalone

Could you please send me the fix mentioned above asap

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi iRick,

We've sent you a PM of where you can download the fix.

Thanks.

iRick

Post by iRick »

Hi

Thanks for that, is seems to have fixed the symbol issue

Although now I'm seeing another issue, at first I was thinking it may have been caused by the Metatrader info (Leverage etc) although I've mapped various values for multiple settings and still see the same issue, it also connected to the broker on launch (which I'm lead to believe overrides download settings with the correct broker settings)

The issue I'm seeing is that the trade results are vastly different between Open and Every

Example
Using Open Prices
Trade 1, Sell at 08:30 closes at 15:00, profit = -27.61
Trade 2, Sell at 08:20 closes at 12:53 via S/L, profit = -90.22

Using Every Tick
Trade 1, Sell at 08:29 closes at 15:00, profit = -147.03
Trade 2, Sell at 08:20 closes at 12:53 via S/L, profit = -480.32

I would expect Open and Every to be relatively close, is there something I'm missing? what kinda factors would cause difference like this

I'm using IG MT4 Spread Betting account, I'm wondering if the difference could be caused by this as opposed to the usual FX Trading brokers

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi iRick,

The difference between Open price and Tick mode will be quite marked depending on your EA code. You may want to check the actual prices that you are opening and closing the trade at. In theory, this would have the most significant effect on your P/L.

Regards.

iRick

Post by iRick »

Hi

The open and close prices are the same (hence the issue)

Trade 1 open = 1.87530, close = 1.87781, SL = 1.88384, size = 1.1
Trade 2 open = 1.87478, close = 1.87825, SL = 1.87825, size = 2.6

The second trade is closed via SL which is calculated to be a percentage of equity (with some rounding so not exactly) so I wouldn't expected the difference to be more than 5-fold

I'm noticing the differences (check first 4 trades) are a magnitude of around 5.3-5.4 (i.e 480.32 / 90.22 = 5.3238..)

Also, when I was using the Tickstory Lite and the Every Tick method the figures were as expected (so perhaps slightly different but only by a few points, depending on the conditions)

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi iRick,

You will need to compare the actual execution prices between the two strategy tests. With the information given so far, it is possible that the "Open" execution price is markedly different to the last tick price - especially depending on what time-frame you are working in (the higher the time-frame, the most disparity).

One thing you might want to make sure is that you are using the correct broker settings for your symbol. Please double-check this information by performing the steps described here:

https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809

If your settings are different then yes, this could also cause back-testing discrepancies.

Hope this helps.

iRick

Post by iRick »

Hi

Awesome, that's sorted it, thanks (was Metatrader Setting issues)

Does the fix applied to GBPUSD, OIL etc, need to be applied to other majors for them to work with the (£) symbol?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi iRick - great news that the issue is fixed! The symbol fix is not required unless you specifically have the pound symbol (£) as part of the MT4 symbol name.

Kind regards.