Constantly Downloading the same data

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
JungleMonkey

Constantly Downloading the same data

Post by JungleMonkey »

TickStory Version 1.8.8.0
I'm fairly new to TickStory but I've been doing a lot of testing with the TickStory data recently and due to the 4GB limitation of MT4 I'm having to constantly re-export the various years individually for testing.

The issue I'm having is that even though I may have previously downloaded all of the 2015 data for a particular currency pair, when I come to export it again to MT4 after testing a different year TickStory seems to be downloading the data again from the server and I have to wait ages for it to complete... every... single... time.

I'm assuming by the fact that there are GB's of data stored in the TickStory folder that this is hopefully not normal. Otherwise, why else cache the data.

So, is this normal behaviour?

Thanks

tickstory

Re: Constantly Downloading the same data

Post by tickstory »

Hi Junglemonkey,

When you go through the download/export process for the first time, Tickstory stores all the downloaded tick data in the "Dukascopy store folder" for future use. In subsequent processing, it will only download data that doesn't exist (i.e. the latest dates that haven't been downloaded yet). The processing you see during the export is to generate the MT4 database which requires processing of the tick data to produce the corresponding FXT and HST files that MT4 requires for its back-test.

Hope this answers your question.

JungleMonkey

Post by JungleMonkey »

Hi there,
Thanks. I just assumed that exporting the data to MT4 would be much faster than it is. If I'm only testing against the H4 timeframe do I need to export any of the other timeframes as well? I see that all the .fxt files for all timeframes are the same size so I assume the have the same tick data in them.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi, yes, only export those timeframes which you back-test with. If you are only back-testing in the H4 timeframe then only check this time-frame when exporting to MT4.

Hope this helps.