Problems with Historical data DAX 30

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
stefano.rg

Post by stefano.rg »

hello, I ask for your help because comparing historical data obtained from tickstory with real data, I see many differences.
I have attached a pdf file where I explain everything. I do not understand where I'm wrong, maybe the time zone? maybe on the spread?
Waiting for your help thank you
regards
Attachments
Errori storico tickStory.pdf
(309.96 KiB) Downloaded 570 times

tickstory

Re: Problems with Historical data DAX 30

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stefano,

Appreciate if you can detail everything in English if possible. We've got the gist of the issue, though. Is it possible to let us know the following:

- What MT4 broker are you using for your comparison?
- What time-zone have you used to export your data from Tickstory?
- What exact dates are you using in your screenshots (2016?)?

Thanks.

stefano.rg

Post by stefano.rg »

Hi, thanks for reply.
Tomorrow I will write everything in English.

- The broker is FXCM
- the time-zone is (UTC) Coordinated Universal Time
- in the example I analyzed 15 August 2016 and 29 August 2016

Thanks
Best regards

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stefano,

Attached is a screenshot of the comparison between DAX (GER30) on FXCM (top) versus Tickstory data (bottom). The export was done in UTC timeframe (which actually leaves the time-zone untouched and therefore in the exchange's native time) and displayed in H1. As you can see the charts are largely the same. "Largely" of course, due to the fact that both instruments are actually CFDs which are traded on different exchanges and therefore there will be always be differences. When you start going down to lower time-frames (such as M5), these differences are going to be much more apparent.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
DA30.jpg

stefano.rg

Post by stefano.rg »

I have seen it, but I bought the program to develop a strategy for M1 and M5, so this purchase does not make sense. If the problem is the quality of the historical data, you should inform that in lower time frame the historical data is not of quality.

M1 in historical data are just low quality and unusable.
You should tell this problem to the people that buys, in this way it is incorrect.

Where can I find quality data? please

Thank you.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stefano,

Apologies - I think you may misunderstood our explanation, so hopefully we can clarify:

Tickstory uses Dukascopy data who are a provider of well-reputed, tick-quality data. This information is used by Tickstory to construct the charts you see in all time-frames.
What will never be the case, however, is that this data exactly matches the data on another broker platform. This is because each trading venue is not centralised and each has their own traders, prices & trading activity. There will naturally be differences in prices between the two different platforms and this is what you are seeing. This of course does not mean that the quality of data is poor - it is merely different.

Of course, since you are utilising tick data, you are getting much more complete data than the standard one-minute data you get from a typical MT4 broker. This means you are more likely to get complete information on the most granular level that MT4 can display on its charts (i.e. M1) and, in the case of back-testing, you will be getting more realistic tick-by-tick simulation of information when using Tickstory as opposed to utilising standard broker data.

Hope this helps.

stefano.rg

Post by stefano.rg »

ok thanks, I realized that the quality of the signals is not your fault, but I advise you to consider also other sources of data because the data in the M1 DAX are not good (if I have not made mistakes in the download files).
I have attached a screen data in M1, what you see in the picture is very frequent.

Thanks for your support, I will not criticize but I want to be constructive.

Sorry for my English
Attachments
DAX time frame M1
DAX time frame M1

stefano.rg

Post by stefano.rg »

ok thanks, I realized that the quality of the signals is not your fault, but I advise you to consider also other sources of data because the data in the M1 DAX are not good (if I have not made mistakes in the download files).
I have attached a screen data in M1, what you see in the picture is very frequent.

Thanks for your support, I will not criticize but I want to be constructive.

Sorry for my English
Attachments
DAX time frame M1
DAX time frame M1

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stefano, we appreciate the constructive feedback.
Please note that the activity at any given time (and therefore the "completeness" of the M1 charts) is related to the number of traders using a broker to trade the DAX. Obviously larger brokers will be showing more activity. If you are looking to perform back-tests, you are best placed to choose a data source that closely resembles the broker you wish to trade with. This will ensure your EA is not trying to trade during times where the market is illiquid.

Do you have any suggestions of data-sources that are suitable for your requirements? As far as we know, the brokers that actively trade the DAX (such as Interactive Brokers) do not offer free data (nor do IB offer historical tick data as far as we know).

Thanks.