MT4 Export not working..

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
tradesbyjames

MT4 Export not working..

Post by tradesbyjames »

Dear Tickstory,

I have just bought the Standard Tickstory package.
However the MT4 export is not working..

I have made sure I haven no account connected to MT4 ( logged out).
I have the right data folders selected of my installed MT4.
C:\Users\mvand\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\1DAFD9A7C67DC84FE37EAA1FC1E5CF75\history\ICMarkets-Live15
\mvand\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\1DAFD9A7C67DC84FE37EAA1FC1E5CF75\tester\history

When I want to selected the data in strategytester it just gives me the standard options, I see no new option to selected the good quality data.

please help.

tickstory

Re: MT4 Export not working..

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tradesbyjames,

Welcome to the club! To get started, we highly recommend you have a look through this video for the steps to get your first 99% modelling back-test:

https://youtu.be/084k9fJCeCY

You will note there are no options to select "good quality data" (except ensuring that the "Tick" modelling quality is selected in the MT4 Strategy Tester). Once you complete your export, the 99% back-test report will denote that you are using quality tick data.

If you need further help after watching the video, please let us know. Don't forget that we have a FAQ here that covers some common questions.

Thanks!
P.S. Could you please provide us with the email you used when you registered your license so we can match it with your user profile?

tradesbyjames

Post by tradesbyjames »

Thank you for the fast reply.
mail = (omited)

I have reinstalled both MT4 and tickstory now.
Then I did exactly again like in the video.. and still it takes normal forex pairs from the broker, not the exported tickstory data..

Can I be logged into my MT4 live/demo account or do I need to log-out before exporting and backtesting with tickstory data?

Please help!

tradesbyjames

Post by tradesbyjames »

I have got it to work for every tick modeling.
But when I choose open prices only it gives me: n/a modeling quality.
My EA system is based around opening prices.. so is there a way to make this work?
Thanks in advance

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tradesbyjames,

Make sure you have pressed the 'Launch' button in Tickstory to start MT4 for back-testing. The FAQ can also assist with some other related questions (https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... ng_quality).

If you want a rudimentary test based on Open prices, just select "Open prices" as the modelling type in the MT4 Strategy Tester.

Thanks.

tradesbyjames

Post by tradesbyjames »

I understand how the Open Prices work, thank you.
I want to know if: tickstory tick data has a positive influence on opening prices simulation?
Or is the tickstory tick data only used for tick back testing?
So is it better quality data for open prices with tickstory data? Or no difference from broker?

Thank you.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tradesbyjames,

Even though you're testing in "Open price" mode, you will still benefit from the fact that the historical bar data (1M, 5M, etc) is populated with full bar data (i.e. minimal gaps compared to typical MT4 broker data). Of course, without knowing exactly what your EA does, it is still possible that the results are different to "tick" modelling mode. Just bear in mind that the "Open" mode takes 1 tick per bar. As an example, if you are working on the 15-minute time-frame, you would only see one-tick when in reality there were potentially hundreds during that bar. The affect on your results could be affected depending on how your EA works (if, for example, many trades were open and closed during that same bar).

It sounds like you know what you're doing, so you can just test both modes to see if there is a marked difference. The answer to your question is yes, the data you exported is likely to be better than what your broker has.

Regards.

tradesbyjames

Post by tradesbyjames »

Thank you, my questions have been answered!
I managed to get the data by importing it manually.

Many thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Great to hear! You're welcome.