How to do backtest in AUD (Margin currency calculation)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Sunnybeach

How to do backtest in AUD (Margin currency calculation)

Post by Sunnybeach »

The tick data can be downloaded and exported to a AUD account. But there are only USD, GBP, CHF and EUR can be selected in strategy tester.
How can do a backtest in AUD?

tickstory

Re: How to do backtest in AUD

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sunnybeach,

You can set the initial deposit currency simply by typing it in manually.

Hope this helps.

Sunnybeach

Post by Sunnybeach »

Great! The problem has been solved!
Thanks!

Sunnybeach

Post by Sunnybeach »

Hi,

I have download the tick data of EURCHF from Dukascopy and exported it by mapping to EURAUD of MT4.
001.JPG
After that, I do backtest(tick and set the initial deposit to AUD by inputting the text "AUD"
003.JPG
Check the result and find the 0.08 lot take the margin of 16. It means each lot take the margin of 200.
002.JPG
On my real AUD account of IC Markets. Each lot take the margin of A$315.00
I am afraid the account is still in USD!
How to do the backtest in AUD?

Sunnybeach

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sunnybeach,

I'm not actually sure how the Strategy Tester handles this currency conversion (or if it does at all). Are you using a demo terminal of IC Markets that's in AUD base currency just to eliminate any variables? Do you get the expected calculation when not using Tickstory data? If not, it's unfortunately not something we can change on our side.

Regards.

Sunnybeach

Post by Sunnybeach »

Hi,

I just repeat my problem.
I have opened real accounts with pepperstone and IC Markets in AUD at the leverage of 500:1. It take A$315 margin for 1 lot EURCHF.

Up to now, no matter how I set the tickstory export tool and strategy test in MT4 in AUD. It takes A$200 for 1 lot ERRCHF. It does not simulate the real situation.

How can I do backtest in AUD?

Sunnybeach

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sunnybeach,

Can you please try what we have suggested above. You should test your strategy without Tickstory/Tickstory data on your terminal. You can do this easily by selecting the "Control points" modelling method which will result in the Strategy Tester taking data & settings directly from your broker. If your margin is still not as you expect, it means that this value is taken from the MT4 broker itself and not from the data that is being exported.
Please note that the Strategy Tester does not yield the same results as a real account since there are many variables that aren't simulated.

Thanks.

Sunnybeach

Post by Sunnybeach »

Hi,

I found the problem.
The margin currency of real AUD account is EUR! So, I have to export the data to MT4 in EUR.
005.JPG
Sunnybeach

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sunnybeach,

Thanks for letting us know that you solved it. Does this mean you changed the margin currency in your MT4 Settings to "EUR"?

Regards.

Sunnybeach

Post by Sunnybeach »

Hi,
I just make a summary of what I learned。

1. If you want to make a correct tick data backtest, no matter what currency of your deposit, it is important to check the margin currency of each pair. If you do not check it and make the backtest, then you will easy\ily get the margin call in real account.
For instance, I have opened an AUD live account with IC Markets
check EURCHF, the margin currency is EUR. It means 1 lot EURCHF cost you EUR1000(Leverage100:1).
005.JPG
in the same account, Check AUDUSD, the margin currency is AUD. It means 1lot AUDUSD cost you AUD1000.00(Leverage100:1)
006.JPG
This margin currency is NOT WHAT WE CAN Change. It is fixed in your broker.

2. Export to MT4. You must choose margin Currency "EUR" for EURCHF
007.JPG
Last edited by Sunnybeach on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.