Getting correct MT4 Settings for Symbol

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
tickstory

Re: Getting correct MT4 Settings for Symbol

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomasch2004ch,

A definitive list of the reasons for this "cannot open" error are listed here: https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20.

With a quick glance of your screenshots, are you sure you're comparing the FXT file generated by your broker? It usually should be a *_1.fxt file on the left-hand side screenshot if you followed the steps mentioned. The other thing, it looks like there is a period and a space after your DAX symbol name, is that correct? Just also make sure that you note the other causes of the error in the link above, the most notable being that you should export at least several months of data.

Hope this helps.

thomas2004ch

Post by thomas2004ch »

Hi TickStory,

By me there is no any *_1.fxt files but only the *_0.fxt. Only after I did the backtesting by using the "Control points..." by connecting to my broker and using the data from my broker, I see the *_1.fxt datas.

But according to your document, I should not connect to my broker, right? What can I do?

>>it looks like there is a period and a space after your DAX symbol name
The symbol for DAX by me is 'DAX.'.

I've just downloaded datas from 01.01.2018 to End of May 2018. Aren't they enough? Can I simply re-download the data more than 6 months?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas2004,

Thanks for clarifying some points. Please note step 2) which says to select the 'Control point' modelling method. This will generate the *_1.fxt file. Once you see that, load that into your FXT editor. These are your broker settings and you should copy them to your "MT4 Settings" prior to exporting (as the rest of the steps outline).

Re: points 2 and 3, everything seems correct from what you are saying.

If you continue to have issues, please let us know.

Thanks.

thomas2004ch

Post by thomas2004ch »

Ok, I think my problem is solved as follow:

1) Download and install the MT4 from my broker.
2) Start the MT4 manually and connect to the broker and download the data from the broker.
3) Do a backtesting with 1H data (maybe you can use the others) by using the "Open control...". This will create the *_1.fxt file.
4) Delete all the historical datas downloaded from the broker and disconnect the MT4 to the broker and close the MT4.
5) Start Tickstory, start the FXT Editor and open the file DAX.60_1.fxt (The name DAX could be different from different brokers). The FXT file will contain the symbol information from the broker.
6) In Tickstory, select DEUIDXEUR for Export to MT4 and then the select the MT4 Settings tab.
7) Put all the symbol settings from your screenshot in the corresponding fields. Click OK...
8) The download will begin ....
9) After download start the MT4 from TickStory and do your backtesting ...

I can now get Modelling quality of 99.90%!

But...
I use the same time period and time frame and to the saem backtesting and compare it with that of using brokers data, the results are quite different. As I get positive returns by using the broker data, I get negative returns by using the TickStory datas.

I also do the same backtesting by the third broker. The result is different as well.

Now my question: Should I trust my broker's data? Or the TickStory's? :-)

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas2004 - great to hear that you're getting 99.9% modelling quality!

Regarding your question about results, please check out our FAQ that covers these topics surrounding result comparisons and the value of back-testing: https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... limitation.

Thanks.