Timezone confusion!

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Forexunderground

Timezone confusion!

Post by Forexunderground »

Many brokers use different timezones. When i have downloaded the history data from Metaquotes server i have confused, because i do not know which timezone metaquotes use.
My questions:
1. If i would like to analyze from 2012 with the same timezone till present days, what do i have to do?
2. How can i use these datas? for offline analyzing?

tickstory

Re: Timeframe confusion!

Post by tickstory »

Hi Forexunderground,

The trading time-zone is broker dependent. Some brokers use UTC and others New York Trading Hours. If you are using this data for back-testing, it is best to match the time-zone of the broker that you will be trading live.

Hope this helps.

houmous

Re: Timezone confusion!

Post by houmous »

Hi

Just one small further clarification if I may... my broker (IC Markets) uses New York close time so currently this is UTC +3 (changing to UTC+2 when DST ends at the end of this month). I trade on the opening of the London market. Should I therefore be selecting the "UTC +2 (with European/London DST)" option in Tickstory?

Thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Houmous,

The idea is to ensure that you match the time-zone with the broker that you will eventually be trading your EA live with. This means there will be less variables between your simulated and real EA trading environments.
If you're going to trade your EA live with IC Markets, then export with New York time.

Regards.

houmous

Post by houmous »

Thanks for that.

And just to make it clear for anyone else looking at this problem thats the EST +7 New York Trading hours option (at the top of the list on the drop down).