Setting back-test period causes issue in Strategy Tester

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Hardcoder

Setting back-test period causes issue in Strategy Tester

Post by Hardcoder »

Hi, I recently purchased tickstory and spend 1 whole day to download Eurusd 10 Year history data. While 5-6 hours has been spend into exporting process(yes I downloaded all data first then export). First of all I am disappointed with the software speed.

After downloading and exporting the data to a fresh mt4 which is specially installed for backtesting purpose and its not connected to broker server. I launched it by using tickstory and found that after wasting so much time I still get nothing. There is no history data available for eurusd. I can only scroll back to June 2015 while I downloaded the data from 01.01.2005 to 01.09.2015

I have double checked the mt4 data folder attached with tickstory and its absolutely perfect. May be I have done something stupid but I cant figure it out myself. Please help.

tickstory

Re: Setting back-test period causes issue in Strategy Tester

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hardcoder,

Thanks for the feedback - re: speed. We are looking at improving this while obviously being conscious not to overload the data servers (and your internet connection) with data requests.
Could you please tell me whether you are getting 99.9% modelling quality on your back-tests? This is a good indication you have performed all the steps correctly.
Also, have you taken a moment to read the trouble-shooting FAQ as it may have some answers for you: http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=613.
And of course the video explaining how to get things going: https://youtu.be/084k9fJCeCY

If you are still having problems, could you kindly give some screenshots of what you are seeing so we can assist you further?

Thanks.

Hardcoder

Post by Hardcoder »

Hi Tickstory,

99% modelling is different thing, even the strategy tester is not running when I export the data and launch mt4 using tickstory. Strategy tester stopping right after 2-3 seconds when I press start(after choosing the required backtest period)

In journal I can see the error "array out of range for "EA name.mq4". I also checked the historical data available in m1 chart, and its not beyond the July 2015. Which clearly indicates that data exporting process not working with tickstory.

There is no error in the ea because same ea runs absolutely fine in another mt4 which is connected to broker server(both live and strategy tester).

I think something is broken, and yes just in case if it helps I am using Windows 10 Pro edition 64 bit. Please help me to resolve the issue :( . Thank You

tickstory

Re: Spend whole day in downloading still get nothing

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hardcoder,

It's important to establish where the issue is. The first step would be to ensure you are getting 99.9% modelling quality with the standard "MACD Sample" EA. After that, you should try introducing a specific back-test period and ensure there are still no problems. The other thing to note is that there are MT4 limitations on the amount of data you can export. This limitation was at one stage a maximum of 4GB FXT files. Although people have reported to go beyond this limitation lately, it is recommended that you first attempt a 2 year export and ensure everything works fine with this first. Also test your EA under these circumstances.

The error you describe seems to indicate that the custom EA you are running is having some sort of issue. It could relate to the fact that there is much more data that it needs to handle that it's not expecting (this is only speculation, given the "array out of range" message). Unfortunately we can't assist you with debugging this, as these sorts of issues can be quite time-consuming.

If you believe there is some sort of export issue, then could you please give us more information including any relevant screenshots such as:

1) A confirmation that your Tickstory "MT4 Data Folder" matches the same folder that is shown when you go to File->Open Data Folder in MT4.
2) A screenshot of the MT4 History Center (or whatever it is that you are looking at that shows only a limited amount of data). Make sure you have exported a maximum of 2 years in order to isolate any potential issues with MT4 FXT limitations.

Thanks.

Hardcoder

Post by Hardcoder »

Hi,

After some trial and error, its finally working. Actually the problem was associated with selecting the backtest period in strategy tester. When I had exported the tick data from 01.01.2013 to 01.09.2015, it was not working when I selected the bactest period exactly like 01.01.2013 to 01.09.2015 but when I reinsert the data by skipping the first day its starts working immediately.(I insert 02.01.2013 in place of 01.01.2013)

May be I am stupid enough if It works like this as usual but if this is not the case then may be the finding can help someone who is facing same problem. Thank for the Help.

Happy Testing :D

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hardcoder - thanks for letting us know how you solved it. We were not aware of this issue and I imagine others may have been experiencing something similar.

We've updated the subject of this thread so people can find it more easily.

Kind regards.