Mapping symbols in MT4

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Pipperoni

Mapping symbols in MT4

Post by Pipperoni »

Ok ... I forgot to enter the license key. A tip: Please program a pop up window that warns the user that he has to enter the key in case the launcher doesn't work.

Next problem ...
MT4 is starting now from the Tickstory toolbar (for backtesting) but I can not see the Symbol that I have downloaded from Dukascopy tick history in the list. Nor in the Market Watch Ctrl-U (see all symbols) list, nor in the Tester Symbols drop down list. I have after downloading also... Right Click on that symbol and "Export to MT4" and of course set up the correct MT4 in Tickstory as you see on the screenshot. Is it important that this broker OctaTrader from which I use the MT4 platform does not natively offers this symbol (DAX CFD) for trading. Even FXCM where I trade DAX CFD through MT4 on has an other Notation for it.
tick-3.jpg

tickstory

Re: Mapping symbols in MT4

Post by tickstory »

Hi Pipperoni,

If your MT4 Symbol name is "DAX CFD", you will need to use the "Maps To" field to map the Dukascopy symbol DEUIDXEUR to your MT4 symbol.
You can find out more about this in the manual and also these threads/searches:

http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=710
http://tickstory.com/forum/search.php?keywords=maps+to

Hope this helps.

Pipperoni

Post by Pipperoni »

Thank you for helping me out Tickstory !
One more question please ...
Can you explain us please, how we can see that we have real ticks in MT4 now that we use Tickstory ? I mean MT4 generates also ticks and they look also real ... :shock:

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Pipperoni,

When you see 99.9% modelling quality in your back-test report you know you are using Tickstory data.

Hope this helps!

swordfish

Post by swordfish »

V 1.7.3.0 purchased version
This MT4 terminal was downloaded from Metaquotes. It is only used for back testing, therefore, I do not scan the server or update versions (build 910). I want to keep pure dukascopy data from tickstory on this terminal
I did fill in "Map To" box under Tools>Export to MT4 with the same symbol (e.g. GBPCAD) from my broker (no special suffix). I still don't see this symbol in the strategy tester symbol list. I don't know how other symbols (quite a few) got on the list. Re-launching MT4 did not help.
What am I missing? Please help.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Swordfish,

Tickstory does not add the symbol to MT4 - it needs to already exist in your broker terminal so you can map your export to that symbol. If the instrument you mention does not exist, you need to find a broker that supports it or you can use another symbol in your current terminal as a "proxy".

Regards.