Are ticks and chart data linked?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
testmenow

Are ticks and chart data linked?

Post by testmenow »

If I use Tickdata to collect ticks, export the data and then launch MT4, will the chart data be identical to the ticks data?

I am testing the old 1.5 version of Tickdata with a recent MT4 build so the launcher does not work. I have exported the data anyhow and tested an EA. The ticks data used by the EA seems to come from Dukascopy while the the data shown in the chart are from my broker and thus quite different. Is this problem generated by the fact that MT4 was not launched by Tickdata or is this a normal situation that cannot be solved?

If this is just a temporary problem created by the new MT4 build I will buy the new Tickdata 1.6.

tickstory

Re: Are ticks and chart data linked?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Testmenow,

Tickstory always uses the raw tick data to construct all the bar chart time-frames. If you are seeing different charts than for the same range you have exported, make sure you have not connected to your broker. If you connect to your broker, it will attempt a back-fill and potentially overwrite the historical chart data that you exported from Tickstory. You can prevent connection to your broker by cancelling at the login prompt.

If you are simply looking at charts then your current version of Tickstory should be fine. If you wish to back-test with the latest MT4 Build then yes, you will need to upgrade to v1.6.

Hope this helps.