Change Data Folder

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
tickstory

Re: Change Data Folder

Post by tickstory »

Hi Camhawk,

If you run the EA in the tester the output will go to <MT4 Data Folder>\tester\files.

Hope this helps.

davinci12

Post by davinci12 »

tickstory wrote:Hi Camhawk,

The only way we know of to specify the location of the FXT files is if you work in "portable" mode. That is, all the installation and data files are kept in the same root folder (such as E:\Metatrader).
To operate in this mode, do the following:

1) Install Metatrader in a non-protected Windows folder (such as E:\Metatrader).
2) Create a short-cut for Metatrader and add the switch "/portable" (without quotes) to your command-line parameter.
3) Run Metatrader and double check your data folder is located on the E:\Metatrader path.
4) Quit Metatrader. We will launch it again shortly via Tickstory.
4) Configure Tickstory to point to this Metatrader location. Go to File->Settings and select the Installation folder. Select the Data Folder that should be the same directory as the Installation folder. Configure the "Command-line parameters" so it has the "/portable" switch.
5) Launch Metatrader via Tickstory by pressing F8.
6) Check again that your data folder is on the E:\Metatrader path.

Hope this helps!
Hello I have tried all step by step hundred times but Tickstory still resist " This doest not appear to be a valid MT4 installation directory.Please ensure you have selected the root Metatrader folder (eg.C:\Proram Files\Metatrader) and you have run MT4 at least once prior to selecting the installation folder.

It is always happens when I choose portable MT4 data folder from my external disk.
I pretty sure that I done everything right. I am going crazy.

Any idea ? Thank you.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Davinci12,

It could be that there is a residual copy of the Data Folder in the usual place on the C: drive (eg. C:\Users\(youname)\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\etc) that Tickstory is detecting. What you can try doing is start MT4 up without the portable switch and log in once and quit MT4. This will download the necessary files into the mentioned folder. Then, try selecting the MT4 Installation folder again in Tickstory to see if this resolves the issue. You should then hopefully be able to change the Data Folder setting so it matches the Installation Folder.
Of course, you could also remove the old data folder, but this is only suggested if you are familiar with what you are doing.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks.

Chris1008

Post by Chris1008 »

Hey,

i can't add "/portable" to the short-cut command-line. It says "... Name invalid...".

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Chris,

Please check out the attached screenshot to see how to set the short-cut parameters. If you are not actually editing a short-cut, you can create one by going to the MT4 Installation folder, right-clicking terminal.exe and selecting "Create short-cut". You then and right-click this short-cut and set the /portable property as shown in the screenshot.
PortableShortcut.jpg
Hope this helps.

Chris1008

Post by Chris1008 »

I managed to succeed with /portable. However the rest of the line is not in quotes in my short-cut. Does it matter?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi - it shouldn't matter. Just make sure that when you go to File->Open Data Folder in MT4, it opens the MT4 installation folder.
Regards.