Exprt to File Fails

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Alifreeman

Exprt to File Fails

Post by Alifreeman »

I am trying to export historical GBPCHF belonging to 2 years ago. When I export to file, I can only see a folder with nested folders inside containing plenty of tick datum files. That actually should happen when I "download" not "export." There are other times that I can only get one day (the current date) of exported file no matter what time frame I have chosen to export. I have set the file format and everything else correctly. Please advice!

tickstory

Re: Exprt to File Fails

Post by tickstory »

Hi Alifreeman,

The files you see are the Dukascopy tick data which is automatically downloaded and cached in your Dukascopy store folder location. You can ignore this directory as it is only used by Tickstory to store downloaded tick data so you don't need to constantly download it from the web.
When exporting to file, ensure you have enough disk space and that you have specified an absolute filename (eg. C:\Users\YourName\Documents\GBPUSD.csv). If you are still having difficulty, could you please let us know the exact dates you are exporting along with your settings (a screenshot would be useful) so we can see if we can reproduce your issue.

Thanks.

Alifreeman

Post by Alifreeman »

I checked the space and it is sufficient. There are a couple of issues with export to file function as follows:
1- If I specify a different folder than where the Tickstory was downloaded to, I get bunch of errors in the log area and I either a) don't get my data exported or b) get the data downloaded (instead of exported) to my specified area. For example, I put the dates 1/1/13 to 1/31/13 for EurCad (the file attached) and instead I got 1/18/13 to 1/31/13! I also tried to export but instead I got your mentioned Duckascopy directory downloaded to desktop.
2- When I change the setting of Store Location to where Tickstory defaults (the space it was downloaded to) I get both the aforementioned directory and a text file (I chose the format of the exported file as a text file) but the text file only contains the data for the current day.
I put this filename when I am exporting: $GBPCHF.Last.Txt... You mentioned I need to specify the absolute filename; did you mean the absolute directory where the file is going to be exported to?
Attachments
Untitled.png

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Alifreeman,

Thanks for the screenshot. The fact that you are getting errors indicates that there is a problem with exporting. In your case you are getting the error "cannot connect to remote server" which indicates that you either:

1) Don't have an active connection to the internet.
2) Have an internet connection via a proxy server that you have not specified in your Tickstory connection settings.
3) Are trying to download too much data at once, causing either your internet connection or Dukascopy to reject the requests for data.

Please go to File->Settings in Tickstory and click on the "Test" button. This will rule out 1) and 2). If this doesnt help, you will need to trouble-shoot why your internet connection is not working correctly.

Re: Absolute filename - yes, specifiy an absolute directory along with a filename when exporting.

Regards.

Alifreeman

Post by Alifreeman »

The Internet is active and high speed and there is no proxy set. The errors are not generated when I go to Settings and change the Store Location to its default location either.The data I am exporting is only for 1 month of Forex tick data (unless you consider that too big) and I can observe the export progresses and its completion too. The problem is the fact that after the status of my export is shown as "complete" when I go to the related folder to collect the data, I am only left with ONE line of tick data, rather than the one month that I have requested! I can see one month of downloaded data tho, but the text file that Trickstory generated and exported only contains 1 line as this: 20141213 231638;1.2033;1.3
It is as if this file only contains 1 tick data (the Example Output) and then the time (231638) is exactly the time that I exported the data. Aren't I supposed to see the actual tick data pertaining to the date range that I selected?
tickstory wrote:Hi Alifreeman,

Thanks for the screenshot. The fact that you are getting errors indicates that there is a problem with exporting. In your case you are getting the error "cannot connect to remote server" which indicates that you either:

1) Don't have an active connection to the internet.
2) Have an internet connection via a proxy server that you have not specified in your Tickstory connection settings.
3) Are trying to download too much data at once, causing either your internet connection or Dukascopy to reject the requests for data.

Please go to File->Settings in Tickstory and click on the "Test" button. This will rule out 1) and 2). If this doesnt help, you will need to trouble-shoot why your internet connection is not working correctly.

Re: Absolute filename - yes, specifiy an absolute directory along with a filename when exporting.

Regards.

Alifreeman

Post by Alifreeman »

I Tested the button and everything is working properly. When I export the data, there is only one line of tick data in the exported text file, the Example Output data, repeated hundreds of times! So basically the Export to File function doesn't generate the requested tick data for the time frame you have chosen and instead it populates the file with the Custom File Format Example that you have created in the Data Export window. For example, here is the only thing I am seeing in the exported file: 20141213 231638;1.2033;1.3
Alternatively, when I right click on my arbitrary instrument and hit the Show Data button, I DO get the tick data that I requested correctly but without the proper delimiters. These are the indications that my Internet connection is working properly.
Please advise.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Alifreeman,

Without seeing a screenshot of what you are describing it seems that you are trying to set your "Timeframe" to something other than "Tick" while then trying to export a "bar" format or field. If your timeframe is for bar data (such as 15-minute), you can only export the fields "Open", "High", "Low" and "Close". If you are exporting tick data, you need to export the "Bid" and "Ask" fields. If you do not, you will run into problems since Open/High/Low/Close is not valid for tick data.

Just follow these parameters:

1) Select time-frame to be "tick".
2) Select the output format to be the pre-defined "Tick" format.
3) Perform your export.

Please consult the manual for further information.

Thanks