How to change spread?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Trader2384

How to change spread?

Post by Trader2384 »

I noticed that changing the spread in mt4 doesn't do anything. However, opening the fxt file through the mt4 data editor and changing the spread there, does. Is this the correct way to do this or will it break the data?

tickstory

Re: How to change spread?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Trader2384,

Yes, this is the correct way of changing spread. The spread option on the MT4 Strategy tester effectively embeds the chosen spread into the FXT file - something which Tickstory already does for you.

Regards.

Trader2384

Post by Trader2384 »

ok, good to know. Do you know why I wasn't able to change the spread using mt4? Maybe it wasn't working because my files were set to read-only? If it's possible to do it via mt4 that would be a big time-saver.

Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Trader2384,

Back-testing using Tickstory Launcher bypasses the usual data (FXT) file generation and allows it to create a data file with accurate tick data and the spread you selected in the Tickstory export. If you don't launch via Tickstory, this effectively means that MT4 will create this FXT file (along with the chosen spread), however the data file will contain only 1-minute historical information that is taken from your broker.

Hope this explains it better.

Trader2384

Post by Trader2384 »

what I meant is if you launch via Tickstory, is there a way to change the spread via the drop-down option in the mt4 interface or is changing each fxt file individually via the mt4 data editor before launching the only way to change it?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Trader2384,

If you have followed the steps correctly from this video: https://youtu.be/084k9fJCeCY, you will note Step 4 is needed to launch MT4. By performing this step you will ensure that MT4 uses the data that Tickstory has generated. If you do not follow this step, then MT4 will generate its own data file along with the spread value you selected in the back-tester.

So knowing this, to correctly use Tickstory's tick data, you will need to launch MT4 via Tickstory. If you wish to change the spread, you will need to edit the FXT file with Tickstory's MT4 Editor.
The MT4 spread drop-down option will have no effect.

Regards.

Trader2384

Post by Trader2384 »

ok, got it. Thank you