Switching Data Sets

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Trader2384

Switching Data Sets

Post by Trader2384 »

Hello, I think this may have been discussed generally in a previous post, but the problem persists so I wanted to describe it step by step here:
I downloaded several years of data in 1 year increments to keep file size down. After testing an EA on one year, I close metatrader and tickstory and then go into tester\history folder and move those files to subfolder called "2010" or whatever the year was. Then, I move the next year into the tester\history folder open tickstory and launch metatrader. So far so good. But now, if I close metatrader and tickstory and switch back the 2010 files and then try running the test again, the files don't work. What I mean is, I built a simple EA that prints the high from D1 no matter what time frame mt4 is set to. It works on first run of the ea with freshly downloaded tick data but once mt4 is run on a different data set and then switched back to the first, the ea doesn't work anymore. The EA is so basic that I can't imagine it's an ea issue. Furthermore, the EA runs on broker data no problem.

https://fxdreema.com/shared/0sUcvU7Xb

Thank you :)

Trader2384

Re: Switching Data Sets

Post by Trader2384 »

Hi, any updates to this? It seems that there is an issue with Tickstory when making reference across time frames. It works some of the time but that very data set it worked on will not work when loaded up again.

Maybe it is something to do with the data not lining up across the time frames? Take 2013-mar-08 at 00:00 for example. Using the ea provided, M15, H1 & H4 all read 1.3379 while D1 reads 1.3108. In fact, M15, H1 & H4 still read 1.3379 a week later. They seem to be stuck on 1.3379 while D1 changes.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Trader2384,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. If you are only moving the <MT4 Dir>\tester\history (i.e. the FXT files) and not also the <MT4 Dir>\tester\<Servername> (i.e. HST files), then you are very likely to have mismatched data. The tester uses both the HST and FXT data for the strategy test and they need to match with each-other as per the original export.

Hope this helps.

Trader2384

Post by Trader2384 »

no problem, I now realize it was a weekend. That would be really great if it works!!

Trader2384

Post by Trader2384 »

looks like it works - thank you very much!!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Excellent news - thanks for letting us know!