HST files in live account

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
jeff

HST files in live account

Post by jeff »

Hey guys, a few questions on using loaded Tickstory HST files in a live account:

1) if I want to use Tickstory to supplement my bar history with as accurate as possible bars for live trading, am I correct that I only need the uploaded HST files? Am I fine to delete the larger FXT files after the upload?

2) Out of curiosity, are the Tickstory HST files generated from the FXT files, or is it the other way around? Is this the same way that MT4 typically generates FXT files?

3) When uploading HST files for live trading, do I need to get the exact data correct on where my brokers' bar history starts, or will the broker history files simply overwrite any overlapping bars that I upload via Tickstory? Because the history will be supplemented with live broker data going forward, am I correct that I should not make these loaded HST files read only?

Thanks!

tickstory

Re: HST files in live account

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jeff,

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can just use the HST files which are used by MT4 to display charts.
2) Both FXT and HST are generated from the tick data. The HST files contain the bar-level information and FXT more accurate tick-level information.
3) The broker should only add new data to the existing HST information unless you decide to manually download information from the History Center. You should not make the HST files read-only as this will prevent new information from being added to the database.

Please note that we don't typically support the data in this way since there is obvious contention between the two systems trying to write data to the same files. We welcome any feedback on your experiences that may help others, though!

Regards.

jeff

Re: HST files in live account

Post by jeff »

This is very helpful. I need to supplement the bar history for my EA, but I don't trust the bar data loaded from the history center. I will run a few tests and keep a close eye on how the Tickstory HST files get modified by the live mt4 data. Thanks again!