backtest for long period not work

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
lucratioz

backtest for long period not work

Post by lucratioz »

hello , i have an issue when i backtest for long period, let say january 2010 to 2024, the EA not work. no single OP at all.
but when i test for short periode , let say january 2024 to march 2024, the EA is work correctly.

what's wrong ?
Attachments
the journal
the journal

tickstory

Re: backtest for long period not work

Post by tickstory »

Hi Lucratioz,

It could be that you are running across a limitation where MT4 or your EA cannot handle the amount of tick data involved in a large date range. As such, you should try reduce the size of your exported data. Previously, there was a 4GB FXT limitation in MT4, so you might try keeping your exports to 1-2 years and see if this resolves the issue. In later versions of MT4, we believe this has been at least partly resolved so you might need to experiment accordingly. Some users are able to test up to 10 years without any issues so it may depend on the CPU/memory resources you have on your PC.

Before you do the above, you can try the following:
  • In Strategy Tester, uncheck the "Use dates" checkbox and see if this makes any difference to your test.
  • Try modifying your EA so it prints out a message at the very start of the OnTick() method. Check to see in the Journal tab if this appears. If not, it means that MT4 is not running your EA at all and most likely you will need to reduce the size of your dataset.
Hope this helps.