Time-zone "none"

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
glaxo12

Time-zone "none"

Post by glaxo12 »

Hi there,

For an MT5 tick export, if I set the "Adjust timezone" to "None" does that mean its at GMT0?

I saw this post
https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 053676b805

and I mentions:

"If you set the time-zone to "None", it will export data in the "native" time-zone for that symbol, which is GMT/UTC for Forex symbols."

But I'm not sure what the section reference "native" means.

Thanks for any help,
g

tickstory

Re: Time-zone "none"

Post by tickstory »

Hi Glaxo12,

The "native" time-zone is simply the time-zone of where the instrument is typically traded. In the case of US stocks, for example, the time-zones will match the New York Stock Exchange. For DEU.IDX (German DAX), it will be the trading hours of the German Stock Exchange.

By selecting "None" when specifying a time-zone shift, it will cause the time-zone to be unchanged from its raw/native timestamp.

Hope this helps.

glaxo12

Post by glaxo12 »

Ok right! So to be sure I have an expected timezone for eg currencies or gold, I should set it explicitly to eg GMT0. Does it make sense to do that?

Thanks for the help
g

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Glax012,

Yes, it can make sense to baseline all your timestamps in GMT. Often EAs are designed to assume GMT and have a parameter called "GMT offset" that allows you to adjust it as necessary. Of course, when you finally trade live, you will want to make sure al your time-stamps are in the same time-zone as your broker, otherwise incoming timestamp data will be mismatched.

Hope this helps.