Start backtesting

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
stijneuh1

Start backtesting

Post by stijneuh1 »

Hi,

So first of all I'm very new to this. I did everyting like in the video. instal - license key - set correct folders in settings - exported to mt4 (2 years for 4 indices) - opened mt4 via tickstory. But when pressing start nothing happens in strategy tester and all I hear is rubber duck noise. Seems like theres no history data imported in the mt4 eventho I exported 4 indices to mt4 and they say succesfull.

I checked tools in mt4 - history center and there's no data from tickstory. Also no data found in the mt4 map that I selected in settings.

What can I do? :?:

tickstory

Re: Start backtesting

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stijneuh1,

First up - welcome aboard! Regarding your issue, the "Journal" tab should give you more information about what the problem is. If you don't know what the error means, please send us the details so we can help further.

If MT4 is reporting that there is no history data, please make sure you have correctly mapped your symbol from the Tickstory symbol name to your broker's symbol name (as described in our manual). Once you do that, you should be getting 99.9% modelling quality in your end "Report" tab. If you are not, please see our trouble-shooting check-list to rectify the issue.

Please let us know if you continue to have issues.

Thanks.

stijneuh1

Post by stijneuh1 »

Alright so now i have 99.90% moddeling quality.

But, Before I had the free version and I downloaded 1 year of data for dax (hst files 1-5-15min) and did a lot of testing on that and now with the paid I have TOTALY different result when backtesting the same values... How do I know if the bars I'm testing with now are correct?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stijneuh1,

Great to hear you have 99.9% modelling quality. Regarding the discrepancies, what we can tell you is that the Lite and licensed versions have identical data generation so the only reasons for the differences will be the inputs such as:

- The date range you are exporting (this could have a marked effect if, for example, your first trade is different causing a knock-on effect to subsequent trades or equity).
- The EA settings you are using are different.
- You are using variable spreads in your testing (i.e. with the Advanced Tester).

You will need to go through your trades to identify why these differences are occurring and/or validate the trades to make sure your EA is trading as you expect.

Hope this helps.

stijneuh1

Post by stijneuh1 »

Hi,

Thank you, Also tried csv. files but again got other results then.

But now I have 99.90% I can be sure I have accurate/trustworthy results right?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Stijneuh1,

If you previously used CSV files, then this would be the reason for the back-testing differences. Basically you would be comparing 1-minute results versus tick data.

The fact you are getting 99% modelling quality means you are using tick data in your back-tests.

Thanks.