Newbie Confused

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
blitz23

Newbie Confused

Post by blitz23 »

Hello,

Recently downloaded 1 years worth of data for 14 currency pairs using the free copy of Tickstory to backtest in MT4.

Exported data to MT4 via "map to" function as my broker uses .HKT symbol.

Adjusted Timezone = None. My Broker uses GMT+2

(Will it automatically configure or do I need to set this time to UTC+2)?

After "Map to" in Tickstory, Broker settings show spread = 20

(So during Backtest, should I specify spread 20 as well or leave it at 0 as Data already will include 20 spread?)

After Download complete, I tried to Launch MT4 under tools but MT4 did not launch - it said I need to purchase license.

(However I downloaded 365 days of data only for all 14 currencies)

Anyway, I opened MT4 platform where I sent files, tested on M1 tickdata.

Data previously not available was available so I guessed it did send the data?

However, the modelling quality is listed as n/a - not 99% (Previously when I used tickstory to transfer small sample data to same broker using GBPUSD, not GBPUSD.hkt, it showed 99% modelling quality & I could launch MT4 from Tickstory)

So its confusing for me at the moment. My questions;

1. If we do not set the time parameter, will it automatically follow the brokers time as my strategy is Time Specific or do I need to set it?
2. If the spread is set at 20 in data export, do I need to set the spread to "0" in backtesting to achieve 20 spread during backtest?
3. How do I get MT4 launcher to work in Tickstory?
4. Does modelling quality show n/a when using .hkt 'map to' function?

My strategy trades only 1 hour during the day. It uses a scalper method so spreads have to be just right. If it is too high the results will be unusable. Right now, because I left the time to "none", I don't know if it is trading the right time. Also, I have no idea if the spreads are too high & I have no idea if I am getting 99% modelling quality. Can someone please help, I apologize in advance for such simple questions.

tickstory

Re: Newbie Confused

Post by tickstory »

Hi Blitz,

Welcome aboard! In response to your questions:

1. If we do not set the time parameter, will it automatically follow the brokers time as my strategy is Time Specific or do I need to set it?

You should set the time-zone to your broker's time-zone in your MT4 export settings. In your case, set it to UTC+2. This will ensure all the historical data that is exported will match your broker's time-zone. If you set the time-zone to "None", it will export data in the "native" time-zone for that symbol, which is GMT/UTC for Forex symbols.

2. If the spread is set at 20 in data export, do I need to set the spread to "0" in backtesting to achieve 20 spread during backtest?

Spread can be set dynamically in the MT4 Strategy Tester "spread" box. For backward compatibility reasons, Tickstory has the ability to set spread however this value can be ignored now since the latest MT4 builds have the "spread" field in the Strategy Tester.

As an aside, with our Advanced Tester, you can also test with variable spreads however you will require an active subscription to use the feature.

3. How do I get MT4 launcher to work in Tickstory?

The Lite version of Tickstory has a limitation of only being able to test with a maximum of 12 months worth of tick data. If you did not export more than 12-months, it's likely that Tickstory has found other tick datasets that were previously generated > 12 months. To fix this, in MT4 go to File->Open Data folder and browse to the tester/history folder. In this folder there will be a sequence of FXT files. You can remove them (back them up if you feel more comfortable). Once you have done this, re-export your 12-months of data and try launching again. There should be no launch error.

4. Does modelling quality show n/a when using .hkt 'map to' function?

If you have done all the steps correctly, you will get 99.9% modelling quality. Just follow the instructions above with regard to launching and it should resolve your issue.

Hope this resolves your query.