Exporting to MT4/Folder selection

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
slowbutsure

Exporting to MT4/Folder selection

Post by slowbutsure »

Hi

I have got my hands on a windows laptop to run this software but im having problems exporting to MT4. I think im selecting the wrong folders. I dont know anything about windows or its folders. Can you give me any help on how to set up the mt4 in the settings please?

tickstory

Re: Exporting to MT4/Folder selection

Post by tickstory »

Hi Slowbutsure,

The only folder you need to select initially is the Metatrader 4 "Program files"/Installation folder. By default in Windows, MT4 is installed to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\<METATRADER>" folder, where "<METATRADER>" will usually be the name of your broker - for example, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Metatrader 4 IC Markets". Select this folder and if it correct, this will automatically populate all your other MT4 configuration details (Data Folder, etc). If it's not correct, Tickstory will give you an error saying as such.

There should be no other configuration necessary for a basic Metatrader 4 install but please refer to our manual anyway as it describes all the additional options and things to note so you don't run into any issues.

Thanks.
P.S. We'll assume you resolved your other issue with the MT4 Export not being selectable. If you have a moment, appreciate if you could let us know how you solved it as other Mac users might find useful - thanks!

slowbutsure

Post by slowbutsure »

Hi

Ive done exactly that and clicked on export to mt4, and it went through the motions of doing it and said it completed. But the data isnt in the mt4.

Its a fresh install so there is nothing else on the laptop apart from this mt4 and the tick story application. When i click on "Open the MT for backtesting" - it does open the mt4, just no data in it. Am i doing something wrong?

Screenshot attached.
Attachments
pic.png

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Slowbutsure,

Could you please elaborate on how you are determining there is "no data in MT4"? Have you tried doing a Strategy Test and seeing if you get a 99.9% modelling quality result? This result would indicate that all the export steps have been completed correctly.

If you are still having problems, kindly send us screenshots of the following so we can assist further:

1) The Tickstory "Export to MT4" settings you are using (including the "MT4 Settings" tab where you should have selected US.30 symbol in the "Map to" field).
2) The MT4 Strategy Tester window (which shows the symbol name - i.e. US.30)
3) Your "MT4 Data Folder" FXT contents (go to File->Open data folder in Metatrader and then browse to tester/history and take a screenshot).
4) The 'Report' tab in the Strategy Tester (which shows the modelling quality).
5) The Strategy Tester "Journal" tab after you have completed a back-test.

Thanks.

slowbutsure

Post by slowbutsure »

Yes, i checked in the tools / history in Mt4 and it wasnt there, ran the ea and it said no history.

Before i do all the screenshots, i would like to try just saving the file and then importing it into the mt4. Ive done this with a csv file but when i select the file in the history centre in mt4 the history does not load. Can you help with that? Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Slowbutsure,

The "Export to MT4" function is specifically for this purpose as it bypasses the necessity to perform a separate import.
Appreciate if we could continue to resolve this initial issue for you as this is the most simplest way to get data into MT4.

If you wish to continue with the file import, you will need to identify why your import format is being rejected by MT4. As such, you will need to note the expected input format of the CSV in the Metatrader 4 manual and adjust your file export accordingly.

Thanks.