Completely different tick data in USD/CHF (and possibly others)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Haeggor

Completely different tick data in USD/CHF (and possibly others)

Post by Haeggor »

While I was browsing my data, I found out that JForex App would show me no tick data for certain timeframes, i.e. 17.05.2019 in USD/CHF.
Jforex is configured to use the same folder (.cache) I download my Dukascopy data into with Tickdata.
I also tried the Official downloader from dukascopy with the result, that it would create a lot of empty csv files when trying to output tick data as csv.

So I configured JForex to use another, empty folder as .cache to force it to redownload data. Now it downloads the data and displays it. Here is the concerning part: Tickdata from my big downloaded folder is very different to the newly downloaded ticks. The old data was downloaded in december 2019, 19h_ticks.bi5 is 16.223kb big. The newly downloaded 19h_ticks.bi5 is 66.48kb big. Both from their respective USDCHF\2019\04\17 folder.

So in summary:
File sizes do not match up for data from 2019 to currently downloaded data
The official JForex Trader cannot read the old files, but can download and display new ones for the tested time

So I assume that dukascopy has changed its tick data. Which to me is very concerning. Does anyone have more information on this? Why did they do that? Is the new data more accurate or just a different data source? If they used their own data for their charts, why would it get changed years later?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have previously stated that the data also looks very different on charts but that was a mistake by me, the data looks similar.
Last edited by Haeggor on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Haeggor

Re: Completely different tick data in USD/CHF (and possibly others)

Post by Haeggor »

So I did another test, and redownloaded data from dukascopy via the newest tickstory lite version that I could download.

The filesize of the newly downloaded bi5 files via the newest tickstory version matches the filesize for my old downloaded tickstory data from 2019.

So that means that tickstory does download data that is only about 1/5th of the filesize of the data the official jforex app downloads.

Steps to reproduce:
Download data with tickdata in one folder.
Download data via the official JForex trader in another folder.
Compare both.

Are you aware of this?

tickstory

Re: Completely different tick data in USD/CHF (and possibly others)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Haeggor,

It may be that Dukascopy have changed the compression size without changing the format.
As long as it does not require any changes on our side, we are not being made aware of this.

Thanks.