Equity stocks work on brokers with no stocks

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
erpthetrader

Equity stocks work on brokers with no stocks

Post by erpthetrader »

i have a simple question , if the broke i use for backtesting doesnt have stocks can i still be able to download the data to that mt4 platform ?

tickstory

Re: Equity stocks work on brokers with no stocks

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader,

It should be possible to do this by using one of the existing MT4 symbols as a "proxy". Simply export and test with the proxy symbol name. The main thing to note is that you will need to know the specific MT4 settings for that symbol (eg. Lot size, digits, etc). You can do this by entering them manually, or importing the .mt4config file from another broker.

Hope this helps.

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

tickstory wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:37 pm
Hi Erpthetrader,

It should be possible to do this by using one of the existing MT4 symbols as a "proxy". Simply export and test with the proxy symbol name. The main thing to note is that you will need to know the specific MT4 settings for that symbol (eg. Lot size, digits, etc). You can do this by entering them manually, or importing the .mt4config file from another broker.

Hope this helps.
thanks for the info , and how do i assign a proxy symbol ?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader,

The process would be:

1) Select the symbol you wish to export/test with in Tickstory (eg. APPL) by right-clicking and selecting 'Export to MT4'.
2) In the "Mt4 Settings" tab, select the closest matching symbol from the 'Map to' box.
3) Adjust all the symbol settings according to your broker (eg. correct 'Base currency', 'Digits', 'Tick value', etc for APPL).
If you have a previously saved configuration, you can load it with the "Load..." option.
4) (Optional) Save your configuration if you wish by using the "Save as..." function. This will allow you to load it again as outlined in Step 3.
5) Proceed with your export and wait for it to complete.
6) In Metatrader 4, select the symbol you used as a proxy and begin testing with your EA.

Hope this helps.