How much GB is 10 years data 28 pairs

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
erpthetrader

How much GB is 10 years data 28 pairs

Post by erpthetrader »

hello all so my pc couldnt take all the data not enough space, do you guys know how much gb is it 10 years 28 pairs of data. and where exactly is the files im trying to find them to see how much GB it is
Attachments
tickstory .png

tickstory

Re: How much GB is 10 years data 28 pairs

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader,

The size of each symbol will be different depending on how actively traded it is. EURUSD will, for example, have lots of activity and therefore much larger than say CHFSGD. The MT4 file format is unfortunately not highly compressed and each time-frame dataset is basically a duplicate which means that the data can be voluminous. The best approach when exporting to MT4 would be to only export those time-frames that you actually intend to test with (eg. M1, M15, etc). By selecting only those time-frames, you will greatly reduce the amount of data you need to export and therefore the disk space usage.

If you need to free up some data, in MT4 go to File->Open Data Folder and then browse to the tester/history directory. In this folder there will be numerous FXT files - one per symbol and time-frame you are testing (eg. EURUSD60_0.fxt is for testing tick data with EURUSD in the 1 hour/60 min timeframe). You can remove those FXT data files that you don't need based on symbol name and time-frame (for eg, if you only test in the 15-minute time-frame, remove all the FXT files that don't have "_15" in the filename).

You can also use the option "Filter duplicate ticks" to reduce the size of your exported data (and speed up your back-testing).

To get a sense for the disk space you will need, firstly export a single symbol such as EURUSD (for only the time-frames you need) and then check out the size of the FXT files in the above-mentioned folder. From there, your disk space requirements for 28 symbols would be (very) roughly 28 times that.

Hope this helps.

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

Wow this helps a lot thank you 🙏🏾 and also one more question is possible for me to have all the tickstory data on an external file drive while my MT4 is still on my PC ? If that’s possible what’s the process ?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader - Yes it is possible to to have data on your external drive. This is called "portable mode" and you need to configure your Metatrader to start in portable mode for the installation and data folder to reside in the same (external drive) folder. This process is described in the "Configuration" section of the manual and if you run into any issues, you can also find some extra trouble-shooting tips by searching this forum.

Hope this helps!

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

So im abit frustrated i bought a 1TB external hard drive and i followed the instructions for portable mode but still it downloads the data to my C drive as well. when try to switch the MT4 installation to the D drive it works but once i switch MT4 Data Folder to it will show blank ! i just want to be able to have 10 years of the data daily OHLC ! whats the solution
Attachments
soooo annoying.png
tickstory annoying.png

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

Instead of clicking Export to MT4 can I just download the data to my external hard drive and be able to use that data with MT4 seamlessly because this portable mode is not working for me and i just want start backtesting already

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader,

Please note in the "Data Folder" in your configuration. You will need to set this to "D:\Trading" for the data to be written in the same location.

When you launch Metatrader from Tickstory, please also double-check that Metatrader is using portable mode. You can do this by going to File->Open Data Folder in Metatrader and make sure it opens up the D:\Trader folder. This is the same location that Tickstory should be exporting to once you have made the above-mentioned configuration change.

Please let us know if you are still having issues.

Thanks.

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

I followed what you said but when i click Select for MT4 Data Folder and i try to choose the D:\Trading it goes blank both the Mt4 installation and Mt4 data folder but when i choose the C drive it stays... my previous post shows the image of what it looks like

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Erpthetrader,

Please make sure that you have successfully started Metatrader in portable mode and that you have logged in and that you have selected a valid server name. When you do this, you should see numerous files in the D:\Trader folder\<Servername>\history folder (including a file called 'symbols.sel').

If you are still having problems, please see the instructions listed here to manually override the app configuration:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1298&p=6150#p6150

You will need to double-check that the files and folders mentioned above exist and that you correctly set your server name in the configuration (again, please verify that you are operating Metatrader in 'portable' mode by going to File->Open Data Folder and ensuring it goes to D:\Trader).

If you are still having issues, please drop us a private message and we'll help out.

Thanks.

erpthetrader

Post by erpthetrader »

ok so the portable works fine thanks for everything but one small problem when , I test audcad it works fine and GBPJPY as well but i tried EURAUD and it didnt have the 2011-2013 it started to 2014 how can i fix this ?
Attachments
tickstory pic.png