Checking data lines up and is correct in MT5

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Waitrose Carpark

Checking data lines up and is correct in MT5

Post by Waitrose Carpark »

Hi there, I have followed the instructions to import tick and bar data into MT5 but a friend I am testing with is getting wildly different results: he ran an EA over a week and is comparing it to the report generated with same settings with same EA using MT5 strat tester.

Is there some way we can check the data we have is absolutely correct and lines up correctly with the market data, if that makes sense? I ask as I am worried that we do not have timezones matched up correctly.

If you don't change the 'Adjust timezone' box, what effect does it have on the data? We are in London (UTC+2) but the broker server is GMT+3 and wondering whether when we run tests if this is messing up our testing as our EA has time settings inside it.

tickstory

Re: Checking data lines up and is correct in MT5

Post by tickstory »

Hi there,

If you are having comparison issues, the first thing to do would be to check that your charts look the same. Once you have confirmed that, it is possible that your EA is using different parameters which is causing the differences.

Regarding time-zones, you will need to make sure these match with your friends otherwise you will see differences in your back-test. If you are using "European Time-zone with DST", there is an option for this at the top of Tickstory's time-zone selection box. Make sure you have both selected this before performing your export.

Thanks.

Waitrose Carpark

Post by Waitrose Carpark »

Hi tickstory! Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

You're welcome - happy back-testing! ;)