Can't Export proper data for testing Dow Jones (Update)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
TesterThomas

Can't Export proper data for testing Dow Jones (Update)

Post by TesterThomas »

Hi

I'm having trouble getting data into MT4 for the DOW. The name of the exported data is USA30.IDX, but the symbol name in my broker is US30. Is that the reason? Does it have something to do with the digit size? and point value. The Dow has a digit size of 2, and point value of 0.01, but the default settings on Tickstory seem to be 5 and 0.00001 respectively. I saw no videos explaining this, so I'm not sure if these should be changed.

Also, I have been trying with other symbols and it seems to be working a little bit. If I download 6 months of data I get 6 months for every time frame, but on the one minute chart it only gives me about 4 months.

I've been searching for answers and I found that logging out of MT4 seems to help a bit. But still nothing has changed for the Dow. Also on this forum I have seen that I need to make sure the mapping needs to be correct. Does that mean changing the name of the Dow to US30 from USA30? However, I can't find a way to do that.

I have images attached with the file types used, the path, and some messages received from the strategy tester telling me that it is read only.

Also, are the files supposed to be fxt? Should they not be .hst?

I'll keep trying different things, but if anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

Just an update on this. I have new data for the Dow with the settings changed to what's mentioned above, and found the setting for mapping which i entered in US30. However I am now receiving an error saying "tester cannot calculate prices". I googled it and a response was to change the currency used for testing in the Strategy Tester settings. However after trying all four, nothing changed. And if I untick the box for use date, it says testing stopped due to critical error in EA. However, this EA works perfectly fine with the Dow usually.

Thanks

tickstory

Re: Can't Export proper data for testing Dow Jones (Update)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas,

If your symbol name in Tickstory (eg. "USA30.IDX") is different to the name in your Metatrader terminal (eg. "US30"), then you will need to specify this in your MT4 Export settings->Map To value. Please check out our manual of how to do this. Briefly, the "map to" field should specify the exact name of your MT4 symbol when exporting to MT4. Once you do this, MT4 will begin using the exported tick data in the Strategy Tester (you should restart your MT4 terminal if you would like the charts also updated).

When you do a back-test of your symbol (US30 in your case), then you should get 99.9% modelling quality in your report. If you do not, the cause is definitively one of the items as described here in our FAQ.

Hope this helps!

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

Great thanks

I’ll give that a try, however, do the other things I’ve mentioned matter? Such as point value and digits? So we just leave them or do we alter them according to the number of digits in the broker we are using?

Thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas,

The MT4 parameters for your symbol (digits, lot size, etc) are automatically retrieved when you select your symbol from the "Map to" box. Please do this prior to exporting and errors like "Cannot calculate lot size" will be resolved automatically.

We have omitted the previous details you have supplied as it might be better to distill all your information down to a single error or problem.

Your first objective should be to get a 99% modelling quality report. After that, the reasons for your EA not trading will not be related to Tickstory but to your EA. To do this, please follow the general steps that are outlined below:

1) Select your symbol and "Export to MT4".
2) Select the "Map to" symbol in the "Export to MT4" dialog box. This will get all your symbol settings.
3) Begin your export and wait for it to complete.
4) Press the Launch button in Tickstory.
5) Select the symbol in MT4 strategy tester and back-test.

- Did you get 99% modelling quality? If no, this check-list in the FAQ will help.
- Is your EA not trading? Maybe this item in the FAQ will help.

Thanks.

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

Thanks again, I'm giving that a try now. This time being logged into MT4, which I did not a few times. On top of that, am I to click nothing other than entering US30 into Map To?

I had always been entering something. Maybe that was confusing it. I have been trying many of the things mentioned in the FAQ's you linked, but since I was in panic mode switching to so many different trials and errors I got lost in ideas. however, as soon as I am confident that I have tried everything the next option I think is to reinstall MT4. Hopefully this will work however. I mean based on the way the data looks (the files say US30) which is correct. It must be something simple

Thanks

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

Well this is not too surprising, I just read this line You should also utilise the “Visual mode” of the strategy tester which may give some hints as to why your EA is entering or not entering a trade.

And attached is the reason it's not working, my knowledge of why this is happening is unfortunately not attached :cry:
Attachments
WHAT..... S HAPPENING HERE....PNG
WHAT..... S HAPPENING HERE....PNG

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

I tried those simple steps, but I still received the errors. I noticed that visual mode displays nothing, just a black screen, no prices (the prices may be to the left because the Dow is reading 27000 with Bid and Ask present. So I think this is why I'm getting a zero divide error because I tested the parameters of my EA on line 1019 which the error points to and none are zero (and all are as they should be). I installed a new MT4 but still the same errors. So now I'm cleaning out every single bit of data for all MT4 instances, total reinstall, and the same for Tickstory.

I'll try the basic steps again then. And if that fails I'm wondering your opinion of a tutorial I saw where you create an MQL file called tickstoryInfo or something. You place this on a chart and then it generates a file that you import into Tickstory which contains the parameters of whatever symbol you placed it on. It's the config file found in the files data folder. I tried this earlier but it didn't work, but after a new intall maybe it will.

And just to be sure, is there any time that I should press the download button in the History Centre on MT4? Does that have anything to do with populating the data after I run the export system? There must be something I'm touching that aught to be left alone.

Or perhaps another broker? I trust FXCM is up at the level that should be fine?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas,

Please follow the steps carefully one-by-one. There really should be nothing more to do other than the steps already mentioned. Please do not use visual mode for the time-being until you have established that you are getting a 99% report. If there is an error, you will see it in the tester's 'Journal' tab. If there is a specific error or problem, then we can look at them as they come (and more than likely it is already covered in our FAQ or forum).

If you are getting zero-divide or similar errors from your EA, just go back to a simple EA such as "MACD Sample" to make sure it works first. This will establish that there is no issue with your test environment. Keep things simple as possible at this early stage and when your 99% back-testing is working, introduce new variables such as your own EA, visual mode, etc.

Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas,

Please follow the steps carefully one-by-one. There really should be nothing more to do other than the steps already mentioned. If there is a specific error or problem, then we can look at them as they come (and more than likely it is already covered in our FAQ or forum).

If you are getting zero-divide or similar errors from your EA, just go back to a simple EA such as "MACD Sample" to make sure it works first. This will establish that there is no issue with your test environment. Keep things simple as possible at this early stage and when your 99% back-testing is working, introduce new variables such as your own EA. Then you will know exactly what is causing your problem.

Thanks.

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

In your video tutorial it suggests C:Program Files \ Tickstory Lite as the Store location.
But the default store location for me setting up is in the attached image. It is also saying successful.

In MT4 Settings as soon as I select the FXCM program folder, down below MT4 Data Folder and Server Name automatically populates with App Data\ data roaming etc…

And here now coming to the Export part, I am still not 100% sure if I am supposed to have MT4 closed, open, logged in etc… So I will assume, logged in but closed (so I can launch from Tickstory later).

Next as shown in the images, I simply specify the date range (3 months), then I enter US30 in Map To. And I press OK. Download complete, clicked Launch MT4.

I select the symbol and EA in Strategy Tester, then start. And it fails again.

After this I tried using a different date, but as shown in the attachments it also failed. I then changed the lot size in expert properties to make sure it matches the minimum of 1. I also made sure allow automated trading is turned on, and DLL imports.

And to be sure I have also tested with the default Moving Average expert.

And since it's all not working, I decided to test visual mode, and that again is blank. As far as I can see, everything I'm doing here seems to be correct.

I have also just remembered to attach screen shots of the actual data, the final two screen shots. I couldn't upload all of the screen shots, so instead I attached three snips of the screen shots.