Automate backtests - run mt4 by console (Control Points)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
nicopozzo09

Automate backtests - run mt4 by console (Control Points)

Post by nicopozzo09 »

Hello,
I wrote a script to automate the launch of the backtests for the results of genetic optimization. The problem is, in order to make my script work, it can't launch always mt4 from Tickstory. Now, if I don't launch mt4 from Tickstory, mt4 won't run a control points backtest on Tickstory's data but on the generic mt4's history center data. Since that's not the case for an every tick backtest, I'm wondering how I can solve this problem and force mt4 to use Tickstory data also for control point backtests, even when im not using tickstory to launch mt4.

Thanks.

tickstory

Re: Automate backtests - run mt4 by console (Control Points)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Nicopozzo09,

The 'Control points' method automatically generates the OHLC from the historical data that you exported with Tickstory. Therefore, everything should work as you expect. That is, you will be using the Tickstory exported data with the only thing to note is (as you know) that it won't be tick accurate.

Hope this answers your question.

nicopozzo09

Post by nicopozzo09 »

My preliminary tests on control points results show different results running mt4 from "launch mt4" tickstory feature, and running directly "terminal.exe" without using tickstory... are you sure it should work anyway?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi nicopozzo09,

Technically speaking, the OHLC are generated from the HST/Chart data. This data should remain the same regardless of how you are launching MT4.
If you are seeing differences, please make sure that your terminal is disconnected, just in case MT4 is back-filling/over-writing your exported data. This will also eliminate a few other potential causes for test differences such as changing spreads.

Thanks.