Backtesting doesn't start from data exported to MT4

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
nsman

Backtesting doesn't start from data exported to MT4

Post by nsman »

Firstly I want to thank TS for this great tool. However, I need some help to get the backtest going.

I've downloaded and exported to MT4 and I can see that data have populated in the respective directories i.e. HST files at expert>history and FXT fuiles at tester>history> (see screenshot below). But when I started the backtesting with specified "Use date" from 7/1/2010 to 7/31/2013. I noticed via "Visual mode" that the date range only started from the data stored in broker's "History centre" (see screenshot below). May I know where went wrong in the my procedures? Thanks.
HST file populated
HST file populated
FXT file populated
FXT file populated
Downloaded data not found in History Centre
Downloaded data not found in History Centre

tickstory

Re: Backtesting doesn't start from data exported to MT4

Post by tickstory »

Hi Nsman,

I notice on your screenshot of the MT4 History Center that your symbols seem to have a dash after the symbol - for example, "AUDNZD-". I believe you will need to generate the same symbol by using the "Maps To" field.
You can find out more about this on this post:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61

Or you can also read about it in the user manual.

Hope this helps!

nsman

Post by nsman »

Thanks TS for the prompt advice. I did a "Maps To" and export to MT4 for dates 7/1/2010 to 8/11/2013. When I launched the backtest for period 15min, the error message is "TestGenerator: internal error because the file not opened". History Centre data seems incomplete as 1min has 65000/1179060 records and 15min has 65000/78604 records. Appreciate your further advice. :?:
Error message and History Centre 1min shows 65000/1179060 records
Error message and History Centre 1min shows 65000/1179060 records
History Centre 15min shows 65000/78604 records
History Centre 15min shows 65000/78604 records

nsman

Post by nsman »

Hi TS,

I just sent you a futher enquiry and I wish to retrieve it. Reason is I just re-launched backtest and it seems to be working now. I not sure why it didn't work the first time but so far so good in the midst of the testing. Thanks a lot for everything.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Great to hear, Tsman - thanks for getting back to us!

ninjaturtle

Post by ninjaturtle »

nsman wrote:Hi TS,

I just sent you a futher enquiry and I wish to retrieve it. Reason is I just re-launched backtest and it seems to be working now. I not sure why it didn't work the first time but so far so good in the midst of the testing. Thanks a lot for everything.
hi guys,
how dis you solve this problem? i have the same error too.
thanks

nsman

Post by nsman »

Hi NT,

I didn't check back my post for awhile and didn't notice your query.
TS works fine with build 509 from any broker. You may wish to try these steps to see whether it works.
1. Ensure your TS' MT4 Settings are pointing to the right directory. See screenshot attached. After that, you can start export to MT4.
2. Before you launch MT4, ensure you select the facebook Like button and stay connected, you will see the Star lighted. You may close the TS after MT4 is launched.
Hope this helps.
TS settings.jpg

jeff

Post by jeff »

I am having the same issue. Seems like I have to reload the data every time I test, and even then I cannot test over the complete date range (only trying a year or two at a time). Tried the facebook like trick but I never get the gold star for some reason (I also tried liking tickstory directly from my facebook account). All of my fxt and hst files are read only and mapped correctly. Any suggestions?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi,

As of version 1.0, you don't need to have pressed 'Like'/have the gold start to launch Build 500+.
Make sure your FXT files are read-only and that you haven't got larger than 2gb FXT files (check here for reports that the new limit is now 4gb: http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202).

Hope this helps.