lost FXT files

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
experienced_tester

lost FXT files

Post by experienced_tester »

Hello

I had 3 FXT files in the tester/history folder (3 pairs). I optimized one pair.
I shut down the computer for the night.

The next day I wanted to continue optimizing. All FXT files were lost. The HST files were good, apparently.

I always started the MT4 backtesting terminal using Tickstory. I don't even keep a desktop icon for the backtesting terminal.

I remember this happened before, when I started using Tickstory. At the time I thought I did something wrong.

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards

tickstory

Re: lost FXT files

Post by tickstory »

Hi Experienced_tester,

Once Tickstory has completed generating the FXT files, it does not touch them again unless you re-export your data.
The only possibility I can immediately think of (unless you have instructions about how to reproduce the issue), is that MT4 has overwritten them because they were not marked as 'read only' and you did not launch MT4 via Tickstory.

Hope this helps.

experienced_tester

After posting this topic here I downloaded again one pair.
I left the default settings: Make FXT read-only and so on.

Now I checked and the FXT file is NOT read-only.

Thank you.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Experienced_tester,

Just to be clear, the "Make FXT read-only" check-box should be checked. When FXT files are marked as 'read-only' they cannot be over-written by MT4.

Hope this helps clarify further.

REgards.

experienced_tester

Thank you.
As I said, the option 'Make FXT read-only' is checked (default) but the resulting FXT file is not read-only.

I tried several times, the FXT files are never read-only. I will turn them into read-only, just have to remember to do it each time after downloading.

Regards

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi experienced_tester,

We have tried to replicate your issue but cannot. When the 'Make FXT read-only' check-box is checked, the FXT files that are generated are marked as such.
Happy to assist further if you can provide further details about your issue such as your operating system and some screenshots of the resulting files as seen in Windows Files Explorer.

Thanks.

experienced_tester

My MT4 for backtesting purposes is not on C partition.
Maybe this could be an explanation.

Thank you.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.png
ScreenShot002.png
ScreenShot003.png

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Experienced_tester,

Just to let you know that we have done further tests on this to try export the data to a USB stick in a similar setup that you have described. Unfortunately we are still unable to reproduce the issue you are reporting - the files are correctly marked as 'read-only'. Can you please try export to a "vanilla" MT4 installation on your local hard drive and see if you have any issues?
Also, looking at your screenshots it appears that you have your MT4 terminal running - are you sure the export was performed successfully and that MT4 didn't have the files locked? You would have received an error during the export if so.

Thanks.

experienced_tester

tickstory wrote:Hi Experienced_tester,

Just to let you know that we have done further tests on this to try export the data to a USB stick in a similar setup that you have described. Unfortunately we are still unable to reproduce the issue you are reporting - the files are correctly marked as 'read-only'. Can you please try export to a "vanilla" MT4 installation on your local hard drive and see if you have any issues?
Also, looking at your screenshots it appears that you have your MT4 terminal running - are you sure the export was performed successfully and that MT4 didn't have the files locked? You would have received an error during the export if so.

Thanks.
Thank you, Tickstory.

1. I downloaded a few min ago a short interval of time to an mt4 located on the C partition, I think this is what you asked me to do. Surprise: the Properties of the FXT files are "Archive" instead of "Read-only". (I exported 2 FXT files for 1 pair).

In several days I will install a fresh OS and see how it does. At the moment my system has 3 versions of NET Framework and maybe my SP3 version is a bit strange, I don't know. So I'll be back soon.

2. I opened the Export menu of TS just to get the screenshots for you; I did not download any data at that moment. I had all the data I needed. The terminal was running cause I was backtesting that day.
Make no mistake, I am very keen in observing all the rules for bt and my user name says it all. Actually everything is running smoothly with your great software, I'm very pleased. If you only would break the 2GB limitation of mt4, I'd be in paradise.

Thanks again. Regards,

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Experienced_tester,

Thanks for confirming the details. We're obviously asking some questions to ensure there's nothing elementary going wrong here - we haven't seen the behaviour you are describing before. It would be unusual for it to be related to the .NET Framework installation, but we'll wait for your update on this.

Regarding the 2GB limit, we have reports that MT4 have extended this to 4GB although we haven't yet confirmed this ourselves. Please refer to this thread for more:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202

Hope this helps.