M1 historical data disappears after importing csv in MT4

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Bernabe

M1 historical data disappears after importing csv in MT4

Post by Bernabe »

Hello,

I’ll just try to go to the point and describe the issue.

I have 9 years of 1-minute historical data for SPX500 in a .csv file (from Tickstory).

I import the data in the history centre in MT4 (SPX500, M1).

I can see how now the M1 chart has the prices from 2011.09.19.

When I close MT4 I can see how the .hst file in the terminal folder (terminal\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\history\IG-DEMO) is modified (its size is incremented).

But when I open back MT4, the .hst file size comes back to its previous size, and the M1 chart now just contains around 6 weeks of prices.

It goes without saying that I haven't been able to get any result with the PeriodConverter script to get also the rest of the charts.

I have tried:
- to do it with other broker and its MT4 version (Pepperstone), with the same results.
- to disconnect my computer from the internet, with the same results.
- to delete all the files in the history folder and starting the whole process from scratch, with the same results…

I just don't know what to do and I need historical data to test EAs properly. Any idea what's going on and how can we solve the issue?

Thanks,

Bernabe

tickstory

Re: M1 historical data disappears after importing csv in MT4

Post by tickstory »

Hi Bernabe,

Please use the method described here to export to Metatrader 4.
Please leave your broker terminal disconnected (and closed while exporting) to ensure there is no overwriting/back-filling of the data.

Thanks.

Bernabe

Post by Bernabe »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking about purchasing Tickstory so I can download the data faster. But currently, the "exporting to MT4" option just exports 1 year. That's why I have exported a .csv and tried to do it in this way. Are you saying that it's not possible to import a .cvs file into MT4 with M1 historical data and apply the PeriodConverter script to this new historical data?

Thanks,

Bernabe

Bernabe

Post by Bernabe »

Hi,

I've tried the method you proposed (downloading just around 3 months of data) and it doesn't work either.

First of all, "Launch MT4..." doesn't work.

Tickstory has created files in ...\history\IG-DEMO and ...\tester\history. In these locations, the names are like this "USA500IDXUSD{Period in minutes}" but these names aren't consistent with my broker names for the same instrument, which are like "SPX500(£){Period in minutes}".

The new data imported in these folders don't appear in the charts (SPX500(£){Period in minutes}), and if I go to "View\Symbols" in MT4, the symbol USA500IDXUSD doesn't exist.

It might not be an issue with Tickstory but with my MT4 broker, I have no idea. I just don't understand why is importing data into MT4 that counterintuitive.

Many thanks,

Bernabe

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Bernabe,

The recommended way is to use the "Export to MT4" way. It automatically exports all the tick and chart data you need.

When exporting, you need to tell Tickstory if your broker symbol name is different to what appears in Tickstory. In your example, the Tickstory symbol name "USA500IDXUSD" and your broker is called "SPX500(£)". You will need to specify this in the Export To MT4->Metatrader Info->Map To field when exporting. Please check out the section in the manual about "Mapping" your symbol (or search this forum for "Map to" for further example and information).

Thanks.

Bernabe

Post by Bernabe »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That didn't work either.

What actually worked was allowing an extended amount of history to be saved and shown in the MT4 charts.

I did this:
- “Tools” menu > Options > “Charts” Tab.
- The defaults are “Max bars in history: 512000” and “Max bars in chart: 65000”.
- For M1 data this equates to approximately 16 months M1 data in history and 9 weeks of M1 data shown in a chart.
- Change both these values to their maximum value (2147483647).

This way I could use the .csv file.

Thanks,
Bernabe