Once tickstory data is downloaded, why does it download again to perform an Mt4 export?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
kasinath

Once tickstory data is downloaded, why does it download again to perform an Mt4 export?

Post by kasinath »

Hi all, hoping someone can tell me if I am doing something wrong.

When I download Tickstory data, it takes a while. I expect that when i try to export to MT4 (for the same downloaded time frame), it will be instant. However it takes just as long as the download took. Why is this the case?

My use case: I am constantly testing different MT4 terminals from different brokers. Currently I have to wait a while for every single export, even though the data was already downloaded once.

tickstory

Re: Once tickstory data is downloaded, why does it download again to perform an Mt4 export?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Kasinath,

The second download will still take as long as the time it takes to create the new set of files. In this case, Tickstory is bound to how quickly it can write to disk as it cannot use multi-threading as the file needs to be written sequentially. That said, it does not download the data again from the internet (it does parallelize this task, so if you have a fast internet connection, this is probably why the speeds are comparable).

Hope this helps.

kasinath

Re: Once tickstory data is downloaded, why does it download again to perform an Mt4 export?

Post by kasinath »

tickstory wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:09 am
Hi Kasinath,

The second download will still take as long as the time it takes to create the new set of files. In this case, Tickstory is bound to how quickly it can write to disk as it cannot use multi-threading as the file needs to be written sequentially. That said, it does not download the data again from the internet (it does parallelize this task, so if you have a fast internet connection, this is probably why the speeds are comparable).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this explanation, it makes sense.

With that said, based on your experience, do you have any tips on how I might be able to speed up my workflow?

----
ps:thanks for taking the time to reply, and for making such an awesome, critical product!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Kasinath,

Thanks for your kind feedback.
Regarding speeding up the export process, the best approach would be to only export those time-frames that you actually intend to test with (eg. M1, M15, etc). By selecting only those time-frames, you will greatly reduce the amount of data you need to export and the disk space usage.

Hope this helps.

kasinath

Post by kasinath »

Thanks! This is helpful. I have incorporated this into my workflow and it is saving me time!
I have another workflow question on working with multiple MT4 instances. I will ask in a new thread.
Thanks again.