120 day limit for Lite version

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
sparkyjon

120 day limit for Lite version

Post by sparkyjon »

I have been using tickstory lite for quite some time to download data for ninjatrader. I am learning at present and have found it to be an extremely useful source for 1 minute data.
Up until this latest release I have always been able to download all available data, often going back to 2003 for some forex pairs. I now get an error message saying that there is a 120 day limit. Is this something that has just been introduced or have I just been lucky being able to download more than 120 days?

tickstory

Re: 120 day limit for Lite version

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sparkyjon,

The Lite version has a limitation where you cannot work offline. Ensuring you have an internet connection should resolve the issue.

Thanks.

sparkyjon

Post by sparkyjon »

This isn't an internet connection problem as I am able to download less than 120 days of data with no problems. The problem arises when I try to download more than 120 days of data. I receive the following error message...

"You are permitted to export a maximum of 120 days of data in this version of Tickstory. Please adjust your dates accordingly. To export more data, you can also purchase an upgrade. Do you wish to do this now?"

To clarify, I am trying to export several years of 1 minute data to file in Ninjatrader bar format. I am grateful that I have been able to use Tickstory free for this up until this point. I just wanted to check that this was an intentional policy change & that something hasn't gone wrong in this release before I try to find another place to source my data.

Hopefully, I'll become profitable at some point and be able to pay for the full version!

Many thanks for your help.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sparkyjon,

If you haven't done so already, please quit Tickstory, ensure you have an active internet connection and then start Tickstory again to see if this resolves the problem.
If you are still having difficulties, it means that Tickstory is being blocked in some way from freely accessing the internet.

Hope this helps.

sparkyjon

Post by sparkyjon »

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate you trying to help, especially as I am not paying for the service. I'll have to admit defeat on this one as my internet connection is fine, I am able to export anything less than 120 days with no problem at all (which surely shows the internet connection is ok) but still get the error message detailed earlier saying that I am only permitted to download a maximum of 120 days of data in this version.

It is something that has come about with the latest release & I believe is a problem (or intentional change) on your end and not mine. Anyway, I have no cause for complaint as I do not pay for the service and appreciate having been able to use it up until now.

Please feel free to close this thread & thanks again.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sparkyjon,

It's certainly not our intention to leave you with the issue if we can help it. We did re-test to see if we can reproduce your issue on our side but we can't. I suspect that even if you roll-back your version you will still have issues.

Have you checked to see if your firewall is preventing Tickstory from fully accessing the internet? It is possible that since your last upgrade that some additional firewall restrictions have been applied, perhaps by your anti-virus software?

Thanks.

sparkyjon

Post by sparkyjon »

Hello again. Thank you for your concern & for continuing with this issue. I did try without firewall or VPN on and it made no difference. However.... As a last resort, I reinstalled the software (for the third time) & it now works absolutely fine!

Thank you for your help with this & hopefully it hasn't been a waste of time... If somebody else has the same issue, just tell them to reinstall the software until it works!

Thank you. Jon

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it. I'm not exactly sure what might have changed after the re-installation - it could have been an automatic firewall configuration?
In any case, good to hear that you're up and running.

Regards.

Flanker_27K

Post by Flanker_27K »

Couldn't it be have caused because you installed it when offline, or when using another antivirus program, or another WiFi network, and that the settings flew out of the window once you went online or changed your antivirus/network?