Help with Walk Forward (etc)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Darkdoji

Re: Help with Walk Forward (etc)

Post by Darkdoji »

tickstory wrote:
As per question a), when you export you need to specify the entire date range otherwise it will seem like you're "missing" data. When you say that the "tester fails", are you getting an error? The MT4 platform should not need to be reinstalled in normal circumstances and if it does, it is highly unlikely that Tickstory causing is this issue.
Thank you very much - much was clarified. As to the last question and specifically your question about the nature of the mt4 tester failure experienced, no error messages register but what happens is that a) the tester runs the limited range imported/downloaded and stops (in a matter of seconds given the shortness of range) and shows no results; b) when I then attempt to overwrite the import/export by downloading broker data via the history centre tool, nothing comes through and the tester persists in the behaviour in a) here. On shutting down at any later point, I then lose the platform, as it refuses to load after the events described. I still strongly believe the platform failure is related to tickstory because i) this has occurred twice in exactly the same sequence and each time, after a process failure in tickstory (without any other program run prior to, during and after the tickstory run) ii) further, if after such a process failure and on both occasions I am unable to download replacement data via mt 4 history centre then one would worry (very strongly) that the earlier process had somehow affected platform functionality. Otherwise, how else would you suggest that data for a specific symbol (post such a process failure) be replaced? That is, given that the tickstory download/export is unusable? Please think carefully about what I have described here as it is a most distressing occurrence. By this I mean, while I am in no position to dispute your initial response, may be if you considered the additional information provided here something might come to mind. I am very disturbed by this because of the severe disruption it implies. Thank you very much for all the help so far.
Last edited by Darkdoji on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Darkdoji:

a) the tester runs the limited range imported/downloaded and stops (in a matter of seconds given the shortness of range) and shows no result

Did you look in the "Journal" tab to see if there are any errors? Did you try running the "MACD Sample" EA as a baseline test to make sure you get some results? The MACD Sample is the most simplest of EAs and should run without issue. If it does and your own EA doesn't, then please refer to this item in our FAQ about how to trouble-shoot your EA:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... nottrading

b) when I then attempt to overwrite the import/export by downloading broker data via the history centre tool, nothing comes through and the tester persists in the behaviour in a) here.

I'm not sure why you are trying to do this? The point of Tickstory is that it already provides you with this data after your export is complete. Overwriting data again with broker data is not at all recommended and will likely cause "mismatched data" issues if nothing else. If there is a reason to back-fill your data with your broker terminal, please install another MT4 terminal for this purpose and reserve the Tickstory one for back-testing only.

Thanks.

Darkdoji

Post by Darkdoji »

tickstory wrote:
Did you look in the "Journal" tab to see if there are any errors? Did you try running the "MACD Sample" EA as a baseline test to make sure you get some results? The MACD Sample is the most simplest of EAs and should run without issue. If it does and your own EA doesn't, then please refer to this item in our FAQ about how to trouble-shoot your EA:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... nottrading

a) Not sure I did both what you point to the first time but I think I did the second time both things (but cannot swear on that as memory fades)

I'm not sure why you are trying to do this? The point of Tickstory is that it already provides you with this data after your export is complete. Overwriting data again with broker data is not at all recommended and will likely cause "mismatched data" issues if nothing else. If there is a reason to back-fill your data with your broker terminal, please install another MT4 terminal for this purpose and reserve the Tickstory one for back-testing only.

b) Well I think with what you have said we will have to wait for any other experience but I will now review your references and try to refine my usage to be as close to the ideal as possible. Problem is I run a multi-screen console on a very powerful tower unit (9 screens) and I have had issues with multiple instances of mt 4 (which is not the case on my laptop). Otherwise I like the idea of having multiple instances of mt4 and keeping one separate for back testing with tickstory - but on that I will call the London based makers of my trading console and see what they have to say about the issues I have with multiple mt 4 instances. But that is a good idea thanks. Will let you be for now unless something else significant comes up. Cheers