Tickstory help for Oanda MT4 (2010 word default for .fxt ?)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Cliff

Tickstory help for Oanda MT4 (2010 word default for .fxt ?)

Post by Cliff »

I am able to import data and export to file path, but when I go to MT4 tester there is no data to test. And I am wondering if this is the issue: My windows 10 is using word 2010, which I no longer uhave access to. So if this is the issue how do I fix and change Windows default is using Microsoft 2010 word, which I no longer have access to.
Attachments
ts export to mt4
ts export to mt4
Looks like the data has been generated to my tickstory file, but no data in MT4 backtester
Looks like the data has been generated to my tickstory file, but no data in MT4 backtester
Windows 10 default app setting is Microsoft 10 word, how and what to change this?
Windows 10 default app setting is Microsoft 10 word, how and what to change this?

tickstory

Re: Tickstory help for Oanda MT4 (2010 word default for .fxt

Post by tickstory »

Hi Cliff,

I don't believe the "no data to test" will have any relation to MS Word. Could you please give a screenshot of the error you are getting?
Usually this error will appear if 1) You have not exported to the correct MT4 data directory (the one you show seems ok) and/or 2) You have not "mapped" for your symbol name to the one in MT4 (for example, your symbol name is called 'EURUSDm' and you have not specified this when exporting from Tickstory as described in the manual).

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I think the problem was, that I ran the Tickstory in my MT4 back tester correctly per directions pasted below, it finally started to work for me!

Generating settings from your own broker
As you can appreciate, it would be difficult to craft an entire broker configuration by hand. You would need to somehow find out all the details about each of the settings from your broker and input them into the Tickstory configuration. Fortunately, however, there is a way of automatically generating these settings. This is done by running a special Tickstory Expert Advisor on your system that will generate the settings for you. In order to perform this task, follow the steps below:

1. Click on the “Help” tab within the Tickstory MT4 export dialog. This will give you the same instructions as described here about how to deploy the Tickstory EA to your MT4 installation.

2. Click on the Deploy MQ4 button. This will automatically deploy the EA to your MT4 Installation if you have already configured it. If not, it will prompt you for the correct folder location which should be something like:

C:\Program Files\Metatrader Broker\experts

3. Restart your MT4 terminal and go to the MT4 Navigator→Expert Advisor tree. You should see the Tickstory EA appear in the list. Double-click on it to apply it on any LIVE chart or drag the icon onto a chart window.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Cliff,

Great to hear that everything is working and thanks for the feedback on what you did. If you have any further issues please let us know.

Kind regards.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Hello, I can not launch MT4 tester as I am using Tickstory v1.9.1 and I have MT4 build 1170. Can I get an email with updated Tick story version 1.9.4 so I can get historical data 2010-present? Thanks !

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Cliff,

We have responded to your email regarding this question.

Thanks.
p.s. Please note that your last message will be removed since it has been answered and it does not relate to the original thread.

hamadfx

Re: Tickstory help for Oanda MT4 (2010 word default for .fxt ?)

Post by hamadfx »

i got the same exact issue. tried mentioned above and deployed tickstory EA and got settings while running as admin. the result is an invalid file and no data for testing could someone please submit a workaround this issue. im using oanda and fxpro with both having the same issue. there is no suffix just direct symbol so map don't apply on my case

tickstory

Re: Tickstory help for Oanda MT4 (2010 word default for .fxt ?)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Hamadfx,

If you are not getting the "no data for testing" error after exporting, it can only be these causes:

1) That you are exporting to the incorrect MT4 data folder.
2) That you haven't exported/mapped to the exact symbol name as it appears in MT4 (including case).

You can double-check for the above by:

1) In MT4, select File->Open Data Folder and browse to tester/history.
2) When you export from Tickstory, you should see the FXT data files appear in this folder. If they don't, check your Tickstory File->Settings->MT4 Data Folder configuration and it matches. If you have multiple servers in your MT4 terminal, make sure the correct one is selected (more in our trouble-shooting FAQ here).
3) Press the 'Start' button on the MT4 Strategy Tester. If you still get the "no data for testing" error in the journal, check the Strategy Tester symbol and ensure it matches exactly (eg. 'EURUSDm' means you need to set the 'Map To' field to 'EURUSDm' (exact case and without quotes).

(P.S. FYI - please note that the latest version of Tickstory supports a drop-down "Map to" box which automatically sets all your configuration for you and therefore eliminates the need for using TickstoryExpertEA any more).

Hope this helps.