Portable mode set up issue

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Scottv

Portable mode set up issue

Post by Scottv »

Hey there,

I have just bought a copy of Tickstory and I am having a few dramas getting everything set up.

The scenario:

I have limited space on my C: drive so I am looking at setting up my MT4 terminal in “Portable” mode and having Tickstory export the tick data to the correct folder for the terminal to use.

The Issue:

When I go in to the Tickstory settings I can set the “MT4 Installation” path to point at the location where I have installed my MT4 Terminal, but when I try to point the “MT4 Data Folder” path in the same direction both paths disappear and I am left with a message asking me to “Please specify a valid MT4 Installation”.

What I have tried:

1. Installed a new MT4 terminal on my D: drive, opened it up, connected the terminal to my broker and then closed it down again.

2. Created a shortcut for the terminal with a “/Portable” command line comment. I have opened up the terminal again using the short cut and have confirmed that the data folder points to the drive/folder where I have installed the terminal.

3. I have tried removing the original terminal file from: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\68F5F2C9F78318451397CB8B1274B8C8. But when I do this I receive a pop up telling me - “This does not appear to be a valid MT4 Installation directory. Please ensure you have selected the root Metatrader folder (e.g. C:\Program file\Metatrader) and you have run MT4 at least once prior to selecting the installation folder.”
Pop up.PNG
I have read through the Tickstory Help and Knowledge Base and had a bit of a poke around on here, but as yet I haven’t managed to get things working.

Hope you can help.

Cheers in advance

Scott

P.S. I have attached a few screen shots to show what I have been seeing.

Thanks again Scott
MT4 Settings.PNG
Data path options.PNG

tickstory

Re: Portable mode set up issue

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scotty,

Just make sure that you have started Metatrader 4 in "portable" mode at least once first by editing your MT4 terminal short-cut and adding the "/portable" command-line switch. Tickstory searches for specific files in the nominated directory and they won't be there until you do this.
Alternatively, you can force the situation by following the steps listed here:

https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... lDir#p6790

Just make sure that when you launch MT4, the File->Open Data Folder option takes you to the correct location. If you are having issues, you might want to remove or rename the old Data Folder (i.e. the one on the C:\Users.. location) so there's no confusion in the future. Just note that if you ever run MT4 without the /portable option, it will again recreate a directory on the C: drive, so make sure you update any application short-cuts if you are using them.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Thanks!

Scottv

Post by Scottv »

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have created a shortcut for the terminal with a “/Portable” command line comment and have opened up the terminal using the shortcut to confirm that the data folder points to the drive/folder where I have installed the terminal. But had no luck.

I have just gone through the steps out lined in the post you referred to in your reply, but again I'm not having much luck.

I managed to successfully edit the config file and when I re-opened Tickstory everything looked good. The Installation, Data folder and the server were all pointing in the right direction.
Config File edit.PNG
I clicked OK and went to export the data to MT4, but when I did I noticed that the details were not auto populated in the 'MT4 Output' section of the popup.
Export to MT4.PNG
Once I saw this I double checked the 'MT4 Settings' and found that they were blank again apart form a request to "Please specify a valid MT4 Installation".

I closed down Tickstory and reopened it to see if the issue would reoccur, but this time the correct details didn't come up at all.

I then checked the config file I had edited and found that all the MT4 details had disappeared.
MT4 Config Dropped.PNG
As I mentioned in my previous post I have tried removing the terminal folder from its location the C:\ drive, but when I do I get a pop up telling me: “This does not appear to be a valid MT4 Installation directory. Please ensure you have selected the root Metatrader folder (e.g. C:\Program file\Metatrader) and you have run MT4 at least once prior to selecting the installation folder.”

Can I just confirm that is what you mean by -
you might want to remove or rename the old Data Folder (i.e. the one on the C:\Users.. location)
?

If it’s not can you point me in the right direction and I give that a try as well?

Thanks again and hope you can help.

Cheers

Scott :mrgreen:

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scott,

As discussed offline, the issue should now be resolved. For other users experiencing the issue, please ensure that you have run Metatrader with the "/portable" command-line parameter. This will ensure that MT4 writes all the data to your external drive location instead of the default C:(application data) directory. Once this has been done at least once (along with a successful login to your broker), Tickstory will recognize the folder correctly.

Regards.