Does TickStory-Lite v1.5.3 support MT4 Build 1090?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
thomas2004ch

Does TickStory-Lite v1.5.3 support MT4 Build 1090?

Post by thomas2004ch »

Since many of the MT4 brokers provide very short historical data, so I download the historical datas from tickstory.com. After I do the optimazation backtesting and have chosen the optimal parameter set, I use this to run a back testing by using the "Every tick..." from the broker. But the result is very terrible.

I wonder if the other also have such a problem?

I am not sure if this has to do with the TickStory-Lite versino and my MT4 version?

I've downloaded the TickStory-Lite v1.5.3. My MT4 has the version of 4.00 Build 1090 (19 May 2017). Are these compatible? Does TickStory-Lite v1.5.3 support MT4 Build 1090?

tickstory

Re: Does TickStory-Lite v1.5.3 support MT4 Build 1090?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas2004ch,

No, Tickstory Lite does not currently support this Metatrader version. You will need to downgrade your Metatrader to Build 765 or below for it to work.
Differences between the two versions are listed here:

http://tickstory.com/download-tickstory

Thanks.

thomas2004ch

Post by thomas2004ch »

Hi TickStory,

Thanks for the reply.

I just bought your latest release the v1.8.9.2 (email omitted). But it seems ot doesn't help. I do the same backtesting with the same period and same parameters, the result is very bad.

What could be the problem?

And by the backtesting using the TickStory's historical datas I got "Mismatched charts errors 5015". WHat does this mean?
Attachments
This is the backtesting result using my brokers historical datas.
This is the backtesting result using my brokers historical datas.
StrategyTester_FlatExData.gif (7.42 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
This is the backtesting result using tickstorz historical datas.
This is the backtesting result using tickstorz historical datas.
StrategyTester_TickStoryData.gif (7.46 KiB) Viewed 15737 times

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas2004ch,

Thanks for upgrading. From your screenshot, it still looks like you are getting "n/a" modelling quality. Make sure you have pressed the "Launch" button in Tickstory to launch Metatrader. If you are still having issues getting 99% modelling quality, please ensure you have checked out our FAQ to resolve this issue here:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... ng_quality

Also please note that it is to be expected that you are going to get markedly different results from your EA using tick data versus your broker's one-minute (and possibly gap-filled) data. Our FAQ covers some of these questions here:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... limitation

Hope this helps!

thomas2004ch

Post by thomas2004ch »

Hi TickStory,

I read from your document "Metatrader Quick Start Back-testing with 99.9% Modelling Guide". It tells:
Before you start you will need:
A supported Metatrader 4 version/build that is not connected to a broker.

Does this mean during I do the backtesting I can not connect my MT4 to my broker? But how to do this? Every time when I start the MT4 it is connected to my broker.

Besides, in your document about "Generating settings from your own broker" it tells:
1. Click on the “Help” tab within the Tickstory MT4 export dialog. This will give you the same instructions as described here about how to deploy the Tickstory EA to your MT4 installation.

Where is the "Tickstory MT4 export dialog"? Is it the "Export in MT4 ..."? Here is what I see by me. It is in German.
Attachments
TickStory.jpg

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas,

It is recommended to disconnect from your broker since MT4 sometimes tries to back-fill data which isn't as complete as Tickstory's. To disconnect from your broker, simply go to File->Login and enter an incorrect password. Please note that best practice is to reserve an MT4 terminal specifically for testing. This will ensure you can continue to use your demo/live terminals.

Re: customizing settings, please ensure that you are getting 99% modelling quality first since this will confirm that all your export and launch steps are being done correctly. Once you are familiar with the export process, you can customize your settings as described in the Help tab (shown in your screenshots) or referring to the manual and/or forums.

Hope this helps.

thomas2004ch

Post by thomas2004ch »

Hi TickStory,

Now I can download 99% the historical datas and I can start my MT4 from the TickStory. I also disconnect to the broker. But as I start the backtesting with "Every tick..." I got error as follow:

2018.06.01 09:54:13.391 2018.03.21 18:30:00 FlatEx_EA_T05_MURI_Long_Short_TrailingStop_30m: tester cannot calculate prices

And the result is 0. I attach the report in PDF here.

What could be the problem? I guess I have to connect to my broker.

Besides, the underlying I backtest is the German DAX.
Attachments
TickstoryTest.pdf
(75.72 KiB) Downloaded 546 times

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomasch,

The "calculate prices" error (discussed here: https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=450) occurs when you haven't copied all your broker symbols across fully. Due to MQL limitations, the TickstoryExpert EA cannot acquire information for "special" (non-FX) symbols. As such, please use this method to copy all the details across for the symbol you are working with:

http://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809

This only needs to be done once for each symbol and you can save your MT4 settings for future use.

FYI, there is also some useful information when testing with the DAX if you search the forum:

https://tickstory.com/forum/search.php?keywords=DAX

Hope this helps.